Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so me and my buddy got my PA 3" body lift done today. i must say it wasnt as bad as i had thought it was going to be. we got it done in about 5 hours, with periodic breaks for beer runs and the football game. i must say, i am kind of disappointed at 2 things. 1) the kit used grade 5 hardware. i think i may just go to fastenal and order the body bolts all in grade 8. and 2) the rear bumper mounts are ridiculously cheap. they couldnt have made those metal brackets 3 inches wider and stamped them both into C channel shape???? but other than that, the kit turned out great, looks very nice. and the reason i say im ALMOST done is i still have to make my own gap guards for the bed and engine compartment.

and yes, i pics will be posted up of the finished product. it just looks kinda weird now with no gap guards, skinny stock wheels and tires, and its also 11 degrees today and blowing snow so im not in a "hang out in the shop" kind of mood :D

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
weird it was this month and about the same temp when we did mine ha
i get laid off every winter from the quarry i work in, so i start finding new projects. ive got the dakota to fiddle with, my GMC in next, and ive got a harley in the basement in pieces gettin some parts polished and some upgraded for the next ridin season. layoff always ends up so expensive for me... but its fun :mullet:

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What brand kit did you buy (and from where) so we know not to buy the same one?
mine is a performance accessories one. its not a bad kit, i wouldnt not recommend it. its about the only option we have, too. i got it on ebay from summit racing's store. as for the grade 5 comment, someone told me on here that they are indeed grade 8, but the metric equivalent. i think thats why at first glance i didnt think they were grade 8, i didnt see the proper hash marks on the head.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
No such thing as metric/standard change for bolt grades. Only threads and heads do that.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No such thing as metric/standard change for bolt grades. Only threads and heads do that.
im saying the way their marked. the metric bolts are marked with a 12.9, 10.9, etc which is the property class designation i believe they call it. standard bolts are marked with hash marks, not numbers. i was saying that at quick glance, i didnt see any hashmarks and they were "chrome" bolts, not black, so i just figured they were grade 5. and the washers that came in the kit are extremely cheap. the ones for my bumper brackets collapsed into the slots as i tightened the nuts down. so i figured cheap washers, and cheap bolts.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and just for shits and giggles, i did some research. the metric bolts in my kit are marked with "8.8" on the head, which ARE equivalent to grade 5 fasteners in all categories (tensile strength, min yield strength, and proof load)

so yes, the kit DID come with not-the-best-quality fasteners. and yes, i will be replacing my hardware with higher quality fasteners shortly as originally planned.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Oh well, I got Grade 10 or somthing like that, have to look again for certianty :jester:

·
crazy
378 Posts
you lift lol id like to put one in my truck. did you have to do any welding or cutting?

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
I was wrong, at one time I must have had 10.9's. I currently have A2-70 Which is stainless wich is just under grade 5. The kits come with grade 5's and they are more then enough.

http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_2.htm

BTW I have more then a 3" body lift too. Also never used locktight and none have ever backed off. And believe me, my truck is riding quite rough currently and has extreme vibration.

·
Wheres the mud...
295 Posts
I was wrong, at one time I must have had 10.9's. I currently have A2-70 Which is stainless wich is just under grade 5. The kits come with grade 5's and they are more then enough.

http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_2.htm

BTW I have more then a 3" body lift too. Also never used locktight and none have ever backed off. And believe me, my truck is riding quite rough currently and has extreme vibration.
damn, is anybody else having this problem, My bl is at my here, and will hopefully, be installed, I dont want that extremly rough riding, and vibrating bullshit. If that is bound to happen, what can we do to minimize it or stop it all together

·
Registered
68 Posts
Boost, I think U miss read Rebel's post. He said, his bolts havnt loosened even though his truck is riding rough and vibrating. Even though he didnt use lock tight.

The body lift isnt what caused his issue. Install your lift you will be fine

·
Wheres the mud...
295 Posts
ooo shit my bad i just read it again SORRY, do you guys recommend using the loctite that comes with the kit

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Yeah you misread it. Body lift will not cause extra vibration. My front suspension is very tight and and uneven tires all around are a rough ride. I was just saying, I never used any lock tight. I checked it alot and none have ever back off any.

·
Wheres the mud...
295 Posts
thank for clearing that up guys

1 - 20 of 20 Posts