Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here ever tried a body drop an a gen III? Was just wondering how it went and if it was cheaper or more expensive than a suspension drop.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
It's expensive, and I mean MUCH MUCH more expensive than a suspension drop. You can easily do bags compared to the time and money it takes to body drop a truck. I like some lowered trucks, but a body drop is too much IMO. I love bags though, adjust it when you want... :biggthump

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Theres a guy on Cardomain that has a Body Dropped Gen III. Ill put a link up later if you cant find it yourself. And oh hell yes it is more expensive. Do you even know whats involved in a body drop? Im just asking since you asked which is more expensive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i knew that you had to cut the body off the frame rails and lower it and then reweld it, but i didnt know if you had to buy anything special or wut

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
well the reason i said its soo expensive is because unless u have the tools and know how to do it urself, ur gonna be forkin out alot of cash to get it done. and yeah, it is kinda pointless like mean said.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why isnt it practical? It would give me a lower center of gravity and the same amount of suspension travel as stock and it would be lower and look better. Not to mention if me and my friends did it and we got lucky and did it right it would be alot cheaper b/c of not having to buy anything (except for dinner for my friends), and it would give me some experience.

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Ummm, completely chopping up ur truck isnt something u wanna do to get experience. And if u didnt "get lucky", u wouldnt have a truck anymore. And if you want ur truck to handle good then just get a new suspension kit. Suspension travel isnt always a good thing, and with a body drop, depending on how far u go, ur gonna have to cut out ur fenderwells.

·
3,871 Posts
body drop the crap out of it and put it on a red carpet, since that just about all its gonna be good for. by the time you body drop it more then likely its was already low - example: air bags- and once you go that low really no way to ride around town in like your gonna want to do. body drops are just good for shows and really nothing else.

·
Dakota for Life!
1,961 Posts
ultimatebluedak, can you hear what people are trying to tell you? Take a hint bro. Nobody is disputing the look or the function of a body drop. However, a body drop is NOT a project for a part time rookie backyard weekend truck builder. It is a project that involves serious mathematics, engineering, geometry and welding skills. Not to mention a garage lift to raise the body/bed off the frame. Go ahead and do it yourself and maybe you'll get lucky. You might even get lucky and not kill yourself, your passengers and other people when a body mount fails on the freeway. Leave a project like that to the professionals. That's what they get paid for!

·
Registered
250 Posts
ScojoDak said:
ultimatebluedak, can you hear what people are trying to tell you? Take a hint bro. Nobody is disputing the look or the function of a body drop. However, a body drop is NOT a project for a part time rookie backyard weekend truck builder. It is a project that involves serious mathematics, engineering, geometry and welding skills. Not to mention a garage lift to raise the body/bed off the frame. Go ahead and do it yourself and maybe you'll get lucky. You might even get lucky and not kill yourself, your passengers and other people when a body mount fails on the freeway. Leave a project like that to the professionals. That's what they get paid for!
Or if your a do it yourself fanatic get someone thats done it before or in the business to help you out. Lets not forget everyone crawls before they walk. Gotta learn somehow.

·
Super Modder
981 Posts
studlybilly said:
Or if your a do it yourself fanatic get someone thats done it before or in the business to help you out. Lets not forget everyone crawls before they walk. Gotta learn somehow.
tru-dat...however i would do a suspension drop before i would even think about a body drop.

·
Jay
2,891 Posts
First off i want to make it clear i dont know that much about body droping or laying frame, but if i get air bags and want my dak to touch the ground, wouldnt i need to do a body drop? or would i just ned to cut out the wheel wells and part of the bed for axel clerance?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dj Wolf said:
First off i want to make it clear i dont know that much about body droping or laying frame, but if i get air bags and want my dak to touch the ground, wouldnt i need to do a body drop? or would i just ned to cut out the wheel wells and part of the bed for axel clerance?
You would not "have" to body drop it no, merely notch the rear frame for axle clearance and possibly the front. The main focus is safety, and here rescently I've been seeing some very scary end results. If you clearly dont know what your doing then at least have a knowledgeable friend sit there smoking a cigarette in a long chair going "Nope, thats not right, you need to do this....". Being babysat may be a hurt in pride, but you can have pride in knowing it was done right.

Going low is like lifting, you start with a little, then you want more. Im sure after you bag it, it will not be long until you want to lay rocker. I love body-dropped trucks, they look like f'n sleds all laid out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.