Dakota Durango Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
<---Club Cab Crew #180
782 Posts
if you ever get the money you should look at forced induction.. until than disconnect the n2o man... its been nothing but trouble for my friends that have it. sure they all blow by me in a race but it never fails, in every truck ive seen it in they destroy the cylinders eventually

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't think that it was the initial start up ... most fresh builds run like shit for their first miles while they are tuned.

I vote that it was the untuned WOT runs. Also, the PCM can pull up to 33% of fuel in cruise and idle .... While at wot you get the full 30#.

·
Montana Dodge's BFF
2,196 Posts
Thats fuel wash there bud,the mopar PCM was never meant to control #30 injectors.You should be able to have those scratchs honed out,but this time get an SCT put on there and pull some fuel out.
Nitous had nothing to do with this so don't worry about that,N2O will melt/blow shit up no scratch cylinders.

DEPUTY

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
from the looks of the pics,the piston tops have some hot spots on them (brown blemishes) and i don't see any signs of carbon.everyone keeps saying fuel wash,but the top of your pistons say lean.i'm thinking cylinder temps got to hot.i'm wondering if you had pinging issues the whole time,or oil supply to the rings was restricted.both a colder plug and good oiling keep cylinder temps down.good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Agree with 360 above and just took a look at my 110k mile engine teardown in my last car and it had WAY more carbon on the pistons than this engine does(there is a small dent in the top piston to the left, that's why it got opened up). I'd beat the crap outta that engine too. I can name at least 3 times where it was wide open at 5000-5500 for over an hour. Still has the hone marks on the cylinder walls and compression was within 5psi of stock as well. Fuel system was always in perfect condition.

And carbon doesn't really build up over time in the combustion chamber unless something is wrong. Within the first 500 miles it'll get all the carbon it is gonna hold as long as the fuel system stays operating as it should.

·
Montana Dodge's BFF
2,196 Posts
from the looks of the pics,the piston tops have some hot spots on them (brown blemishes) and i don't see any signs of carbon.everyone keeps saying fuel wash,but the top of your pistons say lean.i'm thinking cylinder temps got to hot.i'm wondering if you had pinging issues the whole time,or oil supply to the rings was restricted.both a colder plug and good oiling keep cylinder temps down.good luck with the fix.
Piston tops look normal to me,and there is alittle carbon build up where the valve reliefs meet at.That motor is too fresh to have a bunch of carbon build-up not to mention N2O keeps the carbon build-up down(it blasts it off).My cylinders have the similar side scratchs but you can't feel them.Its just part of racing the motor,but clints are deep enough to catch your nail then there is a problem.I say fuel wash but if the piston clearance is to tight it can cause the same thing.The machine shop actually hones the cylinders to the pistons,no piston is an exact shpe they can vary .001" - .005" in size.

DEPUTY

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
if you ever get the money you should look at forced induction.. until than disconnect the n2o man... its been nothing but trouble for my friends that have it. sure they all blow by me in a race but it never fails, in every truck ive seen it in they destroy the cylinders eventually
Then they're not doing it right.

I've run nitrous as my only power adder, ever since 2001. I have never burnt so much as a spark plug electrode, much less damaged an engine. I ran a 100 shot on my stock motor for quite a while, then a 150 on my stroker. Both motors are in great shape, to this day.

On the other hand, I have seen countless motors lose at least a head gasket with a boosted application. I've seen many others totally shit the bed.

That's all due to the tune, but that's just as important for a nitrous motor too.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Then they're not doing it right.

I've run nitrous as my only power adder, ever since 2001. I have never burnt so much as a spark plug electrode, much less damaged an engine. I ran a 100 shot on my stock motor for quite a while, then a 150 on my stroker. Both motors are in great shape, to this day.

On the other hand, I have seen countless motors lose at least a head gasket with a boosted application. I've seen many others totally shit the bed.

That's all due to the tune, but that's just as important for a nitrous motor too.
^This

Nitrous isn't a bad thing, throwing an engine together and throwing the bottle on it with out any sort of tuning is. And it's the same with boost.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I'll update when I get it apart. After I do get it together w/ ported heads and long tubes and a tune! It will have a 200 shot and ill show u guys how a properly setup nitrous motor can last as long as a boost motor. :)

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.