Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Blown and Squirted
2,513 Posts
I hope you get it put back together at a reasonable cost, sucks.

Other people should learn from this, a $200 wideband might save you a LOT of money.

If he had not enough fuel this could have been much worse.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I don't have the equipment for that... I'm thinking the Injectors
So you haven't had the truck tuned AT ALL and you're spraying? I can't believe it lasted 5k even. I think after you get it up and running again you should go GET IT TUNED, on and off the bottle.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
its 100 shot. you dont need a tune for a 100 shot.

THE NITROUS DID NOT CAUSE THIS. it was the 30lb injectors w/out a tune putting too much fuel in the cylinders and washing down the walls.

·
Back in black
2,929 Posts
I dont think the point of his post was saying the nitrous caused it, the lack of a tune period did... like you said. Im sure spraying it on top of that didnt help though.

Although, I cant imagine not needing a tune for when you're spraying.. I already said I dont know squat about nitrous, but that just doesnt seem right. Oh wells... good luck, hope you get it back together. I know I'd cry if I broke mine.. Im just over 5K miles with mine too.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
its 100 shot. you dont need a tune for a 100 shot.

THE NITROUS DID NOT CAUSE THIS. it was the 30lb injectors w/out a tune putting too much fuel in the cylinders and washing down the walls.
Well I will just let you be then since you are obviously a master engine builder, what lasting a whole 5k miles on an engine before blowing it, and having blown the stock engine before this as well, you seem like you really know what you are doing. Keep up the good work! :eek:nethumb:

·
the DOC can SUCK IT !!!
1,342 Posts
Well I will just let you be then since you are obviously a master engine builder, what lasting a whole 5k miles on an engine before blowing it, and having blown the stock engine before this as well, you seem like you really know what you are doing. Keep up the good work! :eek:nethumb:
and it begins

:waiting:

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
did you read the thread before you commented? we talked about the nitrous and we concluded it did not CAUSE the problem. it did help but 100 shot on a stock motor is not too much. the last motor i burnt a valve, i had too small of a fuel jet in it. this motor blew because of the WAY bigger injectors and the pcm didnt know how much fuel it was dumping in. dont come at me like im being some dick or smart ass. read what we are talking about before you comment...

and it begins

:waiting:
yeah, it had to start somewhere right? lol

·
Registered Loser
1,308 Posts
They're just trying to say; if you had too big of injectors in there and didn't tune for them, adding nitrous on top of that was just asking for it.

A 100 shot is fine as-is for a stock motor, because it's already tuned well enough from the factory. You were/are in uncharted waters, without some form of wide band gauge, and/ordata logging capability.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
like i said though after the first 50 miles it was running good. after the 500mile break in it was no longer running rich and i didnt use the nitrous till 1000 miles and the pcm leaned it WAY out from the first start up.

ALSO if it was running rich w/ nitrous, why would that be bad? if it was TOO rich and washing down the cylinder, that wouldnt be cause by the nitrous, the nitrous leans it out... correct?

·
6.9 6 speed
4,711 Posts
Having a 408 built and not tunning it was a stupid mistake, especially the fact that you did not even have a wideband. If your going to spend the money to have a motor built you should plan ahead to atleast have a wideband.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It would be bad because you weren't running nitrous all the time now were you? Whenever you drove otherwise it was to rich which would wash down the cylinders. You're biggest problem was running with no tune at all and spraying on top of that.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Having a 408 built and not tunning it was a stupid mistake, especially the fact that you did not even have a wideband. If your going to spend the money to have a motor built you should plan ahead to atleast have a wideband.
Agreed. I was going to but ran out of money lol

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It would be bad because you weren't running nitrous all the time now were you? Whenever you drove otherwise it was to rich which would wash down the cylinders. You're biggest problem was running with no tune at all and spraying on top of that.
I think the original start up is what scratched the walls and the nitrous is what screwed the prematurely worn rings. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Was it dry or wet shot? I know a lot of times wet shots are extremely rich so it you were running rich before the shot and then the kit was also extremely rich it could have compounded the problem.

EDIT: I don't think original start up alone would be enough to cause that damage. I would think it would be more from when the motor was under load, not idling.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The pcm thought it had 19lb injectors when it had 30lbs. It puffed black smoke and ran like shit the first hour or two it ran. Then the pcm leaned it out and it ran awesome after break in.

It's a wet shot but its jot a rich jet. I burnt a valve on the past motor so I did bump it up a jet size but it couldn't have been rich

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.