Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Don't be "That Guy"
4,635 Posts
or your shot of nitrous burnt/broke the rings? broken rings will leave scratches like that in the cylinder walls too. how deep is "pretty deep" you might be able to hone it out, put new rings in it, and be good to go. this is why I stay away from nitrous!

· Don't be "That Guy"
4,635 Posts
did you file fit your rings, or did the machinist? aside from running all forged internals, did you tell him it would see nitrous? NA motors and boost/nitrous motors require different ring gaps. when in doubt...wider is better. the only thing that's bad with wider gaps is more blow-by, but if you have a properly working PCV system, it'll suck those fumes out before they can cause any real problems (if it doesn't work, you'll pressurize your crankcase and create oil leaks, and contaminate your oil with exhaust faster...so keep it working!)

the benefits to slightly wider gaps FAR outweigh the negatives in my opinion. if your gaps were too tight for nitrous, the ends could have butted together causing the gouges you see, and it could also sieze the motor.

My money is still on burnt or broken rings from the NO2 shot. that, or...when starting the engine the first time, did you ahve any fuel issues? running too rich or not starting? another possibility is that you washed the cylinders down with too much fuel--reducing the oil on the walls which could also prematurely wear out the rings and cause scoring.

· Don't be "That Guy"
4,635 Posts
can you feel the scratches with your finger? does it catch your fingernail as you run it across?

hard to tell in your pics, but they really don't look THAT deep. I'd pull the pistons, hone the cylinders and re-ring it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.