Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XLT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought my first Dodge earlier this year, 2007 Dakota. V6 engine super clean truck and relatively low miles 90,000. Drove it for a couple hundred miles when I first got it - everything seemed fine and then a couple weeks later I drove it in the heat and it started overheating. Long story short it looks like I have a blown head gasket, I'm not sure on which side. I also need to replace one of the valve cover gaskets because the factory valve cover rusted and now leaks oil.
Just looking for any ideas or suggestions that anybody can make. My brother and I surmise that because the car really hasn't been driven a lot and I think it was probably sitting for six months or so prior to me buying it, my putting it back into standard use again caused it to find the weak spots in the gasket. I think there are steel particles in the gasket which may have rusted and failed (guessing). Anyway looking for ideas if anybody has any suggestions about what to do. My brother wants to tackle the job with me and I'm tempted because it's tough to find reliable mechanics nowadays. Seems like guys don't want to work. I guess it compression test will tell me which side failed right? Would it be advisable to just plan on replacing both head gaskets any way?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
215 Posts
Sorry that I don't have any experience with the 4.7 to offer except that I know it is an OHC set up & I don't know what the ramifications of that will be when you pull the heads, but on the engines I have done head gaskets on I always figured if I was going to go through all the work it took to get the heads off, I might as well do them both.

·
Registered
2004 Dakota SLT 4.7l 4X4
4 Posts
Ive been through a lot of head gaskets on my 4.7l with being in towing conditions i recommend taking it to someone who knows what they are doing whether that be a dealer or diy if you know what your doing but DO NOT only change one side change both (Dealer made this mistake with my truck and i got a discount when the other side blew as they didnt replace it) because if one failed the second is probably not far behind, another tip with the 4.7 being and 3.7l engines both having aluminum heads with a cast iron block (terrible setup thanks Chrysler) you want to make sure it never overheats if it starts to shut it off and diag it immediately as overheating will lead to a head gasket VERY quickly or even warped heads, if you need a how to also i got a shop manual i can send the procedure to you!

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Overheating is an issue that will cause ANY cast iron/aluminum head block to lift head gaskets... its not just a Chrysler thing, nearly ALL engine manufactures use cast iron/aluminum head combinations.

From our experience, its the bolts that get fatigued after overheating and lose clamping force. We have had customers who have had constant head gasket failures 2-3 times ultimately decide to step up to our ARP head studs and Cometic head gaskets combination. The ARP head studs allow for a greater head torque and the cometic head gaskets are known for their superior sealing.

To date, we have not heard of any head gasket failures after stepping up to the ARP head studs and Cometic head gaskets.

Ultimately the goal should be to avoid overheating...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM PERFORMANCE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts