Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to ask from my previous posting. I'm thinking that maybe my oil pump went and that's why my gauge was intermitting. Has there been a problem w/ oil pumps on 2000 4.7 Quad Cabs that anyonw has heard of? I'm just trying to figure out why this truck w/ 88k on it, all hiway miles, always running at operating temp., always having the the oil changed would go. I'm getting ready to send in my next (2nd since the truck died) loan payment on this truck and it's still sitting in my driveway. They want anywhere from $3500. to $5500. for a rebuilt. Any idea's on where I can get a motor inexpensive since I don't have that kind of $? I live in Sandown,NH., anyone in the area have an engine for sale; any suggestions?? Thnx., *****

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Whats wrong with the motor anyways? I mean... I know where you can get some new heads... and uhh... if pistons and rods are the broke ass part... thats not hard...

The only thing I can see... is if ur block is broake ass... then ur pretty much screwed... cause that would been replace the block. AND,... if the block is screwed... chances are the rest of it's internals are fvckzoid as well.

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was "knocking" coming from the lower end. When I do get it started there is NO power whatsoever. I think the oil pump let go, that's why my gauge was intermitting (I thought it was a loose wire from the front end repair) and because I was on the hiway I couldn't hear the knocking which in turn damaged the bearings/lower end. I guess I should really bring it to a reputable garage and find out what's really wrong w/ it. I do beleive though that the lower end is gone. Thnx. for your reply!

·
Texas
207 Posts
"knocking" reminds me of a used ram my dad bought from a local used dealer no mopar dealer :( but any way after 3 oil changes the enigine starts to have slight knock/ping coming from it. My dad had to drive to houston and he was 3hrs away when the enigine froze up. aparently there was a problem when he bought it and told the guys but they were like "umm its your problem not ours" took us a year or so to get it running.... we wound up replace the whole enigine but we were luck to find a guy who swaped his out with a v8... so we picked up a 88kmile v6 for $400 with all wireing. Have the block checked to see if it is damaged... if it isnt... then do what he posted it will be a lot cheaper....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm Still curious as to wonder if anyone has had/heard of this problem; oil pumps going on their 2000 4.7. Mine has 88k on it. Thnx., ***** :help:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Stu I had the same knocking on my truck. it ended up being one of the cylinders was scraping the wall on one side and the piston slapped in the cylinder bore. I found a set of pistons .020 over with rings and everything for 350$ I believe the guy said Keith Black made these. I had to have my motor bored 20 over so I had to get new pistons.
Ive looked around and couldnt find anyone with a running 4.7 for sale.
You can try some of the big salvage yards out in Arizona.
if I hear or see anyone selling one Ill let you know. As for oil pumps going out I havent heard that. The oil pmp is behind the waterpump and its driven by the crank. Mine was replaced when they rebuilt my motor.

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thnx. for the All the feedback. I ended up having it towed today to an authorized Dodge Dealership. At least I can get it diagnosed correctly and go from there. Thnx. again!
Sandown, NH :wave:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KRC Performance 4.7 Short blocks

Check these guys out. Its a bit pricey though. Give them a call and tell them whats going on with the truck and see if they have any suggestions on what it might be and what your options are. They might be able to build you a new motor for less than a rebuild.

·
adicted to GT4
273 Posts
Stu Baker said:
Thnx. for the All the feedback. I ended up having it towed today to an authorized Dodge Dealership. At least I can get it diagnosed correctly and go from there. Thnx. again!
Sandown, NH :wave:
WOW, bend over and lube up in advance, cause it is coming (the stealership's gonna rape you) Have fun, I hope they are kind.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Dealer quoted me 8000$ for a remanufactured engine. 5000 for the motor 2500 install labor and 500 for misc parts oil etc

Rob

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

SSRage said:
KRC Performance 4.7 Short blocks

Check these guys out. Its a bit pricey though. Give them a call and tell them whats going on with the truck and see if they have any suggestions on what it might be and what your options are. They might be able to build you a new motor for less than a rebuild.
Yeah, give Marty a call at our shop tomorrow. I've looked at dealer pricing and Jasper pricing on 4.7 motors and we're pretty darn competitive. Plus you'll end up with a nice engine. 321-635-8866 :biggthump

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, well the Dodge dealership diagnosed it and it is blown/blew a rod. I was quoted from them $5900.-$6000. and that's without a new water pump, new plugs etc. (truck has 88k on it) which they suggested changing out since the truck has that many miles on it. I also checked NECO which has one for $5199. TOTAL w/ their 5 yr warranty BUT..... if u read the warranty it does cover Everything 100% for the first 2 yrs., then after that (still covered 100%) u pay a deductable in increments (from $250.-$1250.) up to the 5th yr.. Next, a friend of a friend has a Jasper for $4200. 3yr/36k plus labor and misc. totalling $5500.. Finally, I found one closer to home...Jasper w/ 3yr/75k FOR $5200. total! So, hmmmmmmm.......... I think I'm still going to have to pay around the $5500. in case they do change out the water pump, plugs etc. So, for anyone who is looking for a remanufactured motor for their 4.7 this is what your going to be spending. I would learn/do it myself, but w/ 2 jobs and 2 kids and no time and,....and,......and,.....u know what I mean :drool: .
Hey, I did get the dealership though to change out my ball joints and seat belts from the recall on it! NO CHARGE, WOW! THANKS ALOT DODGE :jester:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.