Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rock Crawler
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Dakota SLT. My blower motor has been shutting off and turning back on at random for awhile and recently decided to only work occassionally. If i'm not mistaken, if the blower needs replaced on a 2000 Dakota it requires pulling the dash?!?

I could use some tips of where to test probe the blower motor for power before tackling this daunting task. I've already replaced the resistor and it fixed nothing.

·
Rock Crawler
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Something I forgot to mention is, occassionaly when the blower motor quits running, I can shut off the engine, restart and the blower will turn back on. Also, when the blower motor is running it'll begin to slowly lose speed until the point it shuts off entirely.

·
Rock Crawler
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's quiet in here anymore. I thought for certain that someone here has tackled this and could throw some tips my way..Anyone??

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yes you have to pull the dash to change the motor.

A couple of things you can check first.

The motor is always live. The speed control goes through the resistor to ground.

1. The ground for the blower motor is on the passenger side of the dash, near the pivot. It's a 10 gauge wire. The ground is shared with the power outlet and cigarette lighter so if they work all the time the ground is likely good.
2. There is a relay in the PDC under the hood that energizes the feed to the blower when the key is in run. Maybe it's failing when it gets hot.
3. If you can disconnect the connector to the motor, near the glove box, a black 2 pin connector with heavy (10 gauge) dark green and grey wires you can check for power.

·
Registered
285 Posts
had a 1982 250 HD RAM. the stock ignition switch could not handle the current to the heater / A / C blower. after putting 2 in. i wired around the stock SW. got a very good relay and used the stock ignition SW to turn the relay on. not easy but it worked. in a pinch you could put 2 relays in parallel. if you have the will and time check the current draw as a point of interest. but i wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just as an FYI, the blower motor does not run through the ignition switch.

The blower motor is fed by an always hot (battery) bus. There is a relay in the PDC that the ignition switch turns on to feed power to the blower motor.

·
Registered
285 Posts
ok i think iam still living in the past. LOL you are right they change things from time to time. dumb me yours is like my 2001 dak. i have a factory service manual for a 2001. i find the new manuals a little hard to read.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Actually, 2001 and later it is run through the ignition switch, without a relay.

There are big differences between an '00 and an '01 electrical wise.

·
Rock Crawler
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips, it gives me a solid starting point. I'm hoping to find a something other than an expired motor that doesn't require me to pull the dash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2000 Dakota SLT. My blower motor has been shutting off and turning back on at random for awhile and recently decided to only work occassionally. If i'm not mistaken, if the blower needs replaced on a 2000 Dakota it requires pulling the dash?!?

I could use some tips of where to test probe the blower motor for power before tackling this daunting task. I've already replaced the resistor and it fixed nothing.
Something I forgot to mention is, occassionaly when the blower motor quits running, I can shut off the engine, restart and the blower will turn back on. Also, when the blower motor is running it'll begin to slowly lose speed until the point it shuts off entirely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same truck, same issue. Hell on a cold day when a defroster is needed.
Does your blower come on when you make a moderately fast right turn, then goes off as the turn is completed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts