Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot all about the freezing rain the night before...So on my way to school thursday I neglected to put my truck in 4wd (plus the rattling chain is annoying). Gave it a little too much gas in 4th gear, fishtailed a few times, went down the 2 lane road a couple meters and then went in the large ditch on the opposite side of the road, facing that direction (180* opposite of my original) and about 5 feet from smashing my bed into a fence.

Took a second to make sure I was okay, there was nobody else involved, and that the truck would start back up (stalled out). Popped it in 4wd, pulled right out of the ditch and proceeded to school in 4wd.

I probably should have done a walk around on my truck, but I simply did not want to think about that after all the other problems I've had with it.

DRIVE SAFELY EVERYONE!

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Damn that sucks!

You are the 4th tonight!

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
4WD is a crutch for people who can't figure out how to drive a 2wd vehicle in bad conditions. The only people that really "need" it are the ones who take their vehicles off road frequently into conditions where it would be needed. My dad always used to say if he can't get somewhere in 2wd then he doesn't need to be there.

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
4WD is a crutch for people who can't figure out how to drive a 2wd vehicle in bad conditions.
x2. Rep+ I can drive my Open-Diff 2WD anywhere as long as I have some weight in the back and know how much snow I'm driving through, It's all about pedal control.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
Sure it does.... of course not if the road is covered...but for small patches it helps. My driveway is usually covered in black ice and I can crawl right up it in 4wd.

Glad you and the truck are ok!
and your not doing 40 down your driveway either aint you. apples and oranges.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did the same thing with my 4wd a couple of weeks ago. I was driving along in 2wd and the back end came around. I corrected and it swung the other way corrected again and backed it in the ditch. Yet I ended up facing my original direction of travel. I was able to back out and do a quick walk around. Didn't notice anything but some dirt on my rims. The next week my front tire started leaking from a stone in between the tire and rim. This is the 3rd time this pickup has did something like that to me. I don't know if it is the posi or the added weight and power or the 4.7. I never had any issues with my '94 2wd 2.5. It always gave me some warning it was going around and I had lots of time to stop it. This new pickup has no warning what so ever. I am debating putting in an open diff. and awd transfer case. At least I don't get stuck in the deep snow anymore.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
x2. Rep+ I can drive my Open-Diff 2WD anywhere as long as I have some weight in the back and know how much snow I'm driving through, It's all about pedal control.
x3 when i had my 2wd drive silverado i would have my dad bring home a 300pd of flat steel from work and throw it in the back end, lol. your right though. its all about pedal control.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, after that I've really watch my RPMs. I try not to go over 1500. Marticat, yea I don't think the LSD helps with fishtailing at all, makes it worse even.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My dakotas are both manuals so it is hard keeping the the rpms low all the time. If only the would bring back the tire studs.

·
Let it SNOW!
4,152 Posts
i owned 9 vehicles before my dakota, 6 of them RWD, and 3 of them were pickups. my dakota is the first vehicle i've ever owned or driven that was 4WD.

with that said, i never had a problem MOVING in rwd vehicles, so much as i had in getting out of my driveway, or down the private dirt road to the main road. or getting out of parking lots, or going up snowy/icy hills, or going down the same dirt driveway in the springtime when it's a fucking mudbog.

4wd isn't just a "crutch" for people that can't drive: it makes things so much easier. if you've owned a 4x4 vehicle, then you wouldn't be saying these things. it absolutely makes driving anywhere easier and gives a level of confidence that rwd cannot. and if my truck has 4x4, why in the hell wouldn't i use it?

people who say 4x4 is over-rated confuse me. i know from personal experience, that my truck with 31" tires, 4x4, and a TB crank can drive through snow deep enough to plow with my valence. granted, my valence is only skimming the top 1-2" of snow, but i would love to see a rwd pickup do that. i have climbed some pretty gnarly hills, covered in grass OR snow that i'm sure rwd couldn't do it. was there a need to do either of these things? no... but it's nice knowing that i can, and the security of knowing my capabilities makes me happy. i love watching people who can't drive fishtail everywhere (like my truck does before i put it in 4wd) and then driving past them with no fucking worries about slipping, sliding, fishtailing, etc.

every roommate i've ever had has gotten stuck in the apartment complex parking lot. myself included, until i put it into 4x4. i guess i could have rocked it, or shoveled a bit. but why spend 10 minutes rocking back and forth, when i can just slide the lever into 4wd and be on my way?

·
Let it SNOW!
4,152 Posts
and as far as the topic of the thread, i know what you mean: i was driving too quickly on a highway merge ramp (neglecting the freezing temperatures) and my truck drifted 2 lanes towards the outside of the turn. i almost shat myself. my girlfriend yelled at me. i guess i should have used sounbd logic and reasoning and slowed the fuck down. it was scary as hell. it was as if some gigantic magic finger just effortlessly poked and pushed my truck 2 lanes over going around this turn. it came out of nowhere, i didn't see it, expect it, nor could i do a damn thing about it. luckily the ice stopped at the shoulder of the road, where there was a bunch of salt build-up or i would have went over, and likely rolled the truck down the hill. oh man, would the girl have been pissed about that one... yikes.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
4wd isn't just a "crutch" for people that can't drive: it makes things so much easier. if you've owned a 4x4 vehicle, then you wouldn't be saying these things. it absolutely makes driving anywhere easier and gives a level of confidence that rwd cannot. and if my truck has 4x4, why in the hell wouldn't i use it?
That is exactly what gets most 4x4 owners in trouble. They think they are invincible because they have 4wd. They think the 4wd will magically save them should they get themselves into trouble, or magically keep them out of trouble.

people who say 4x4 is over-rated confuse me. i know from personal experience, that my truck with 31" tires, 4x4, and a TB crank can drive through snow deep enough to plow with my valence. granted, my valence is only skimming the top 1-2" of snow, but i would love to see a rwd pickup do that. i have climbed some pretty gnarly hills, covered in grass OR snow that i'm sure rwd couldn't do it. was there a need to do either of these things? no... but it's nice knowing that i can, and the security of knowing my capabilities makes me happy. i love watching people who can't drive fishtail everywhere (like my truck does before i put it in 4wd) and then driving past them with no fucking worries about slipping, sliding, fishtailing, etc.
I'm not saying 4x4s are over rated or don't have their place, but from what I've seen, most people with 4x4s don't use them for their intended purpose and only own them because they think it somehow makes them better drivers and they think they can get around in bad weather.

What I love is driving past all the 4x4 trucks and SUVs sitting in the ditch on the side of the road because they lost control thinking the 4x4 would save them as I cruise by in my RWD truck. 4x4 doesn't make you a better driver, and the only "capabilities" it gives most people(not all) is the ability to get stuck in places most people can't help you get out of. If you don't know how to control your vehicle, then you are still going to get in trouble whether you have RWD, FWD, AWD, or 4x4. I've never been in a situation yet where I couldn't get where I wanted to go in my lowered 2wd truck because of road conditions, and I've driven through 4-6 inch deep snow. Granted i don't live in a rural area right now, but even if i did, and the roads were that bad, then do i really need to be out trying to drive around on them?? Sure I'd love to have a 4x4 beater to go have some fun with, but I don't expect it to make me a better driver, or keep me out of trouble.

I know I freak a lot of people out around here during the winter when there is snow on the roads as I purposely drift around corners, and purposely induce fishtailing. But not only is it to have fun, it also allows me to see how bad the roads really are. I can tell by how much throttle I have to give my truck to spin the tires how bad the roads are and it lets me know how much I can push it as far as acceleration, speed, and braking. I do random brake checks on straight parts of the road as well to test braking conditions to make sure there isn't ice on the road as I am coming to a stop. I almost got rear ended last night because some idiot in a new, to her, car that still had paper plates and already had front end damage, was talking on her cell phone not paying attention as i had to slow down quickly due to a car turning in front of me. The roads were slick and I started slowing down sooner than she was expecting. She probably came within a foot of hitting me as she tried changing lanes because there was no way she would have slowed down in time if she would have stayed in my lane.

·
Let it SNOW!
4,152 Posts
yes, your average 4x4 owner is a complete douchebag, over-confident cocky asshole when driving in snow. when i'm in 2wd or 4wd, i drive as fast as i feel comfortable. it amazes me how i get passed by douche biggalows driving 4wd trucks and suvs. and yes, i sometimes see these same assholes in the ditches, or with their hazards on waiting for a cop to show up because they just rear-ended someone. i know what you're talking about, and i agree with everything you said.

·
ಠ_ಠ ლ(ಠ益ಠ&#
1,562 Posts
hskrRT is right 4x4 dosnt make you invinceable it only increases the capability of your vehicle and in many cases the drivers capabilitys do not increase with it. In my dakota I refuse to take it anywhere i cane make it out of in 2wd simply because when your stuck in 4x4 you are really sol.

Then again I didnt just buy a 4x4 to say I have 4x4 because just getting around my property is a pain without it. The jerks incharge of maintaining my street decided it would be a good idea to put over a foot of clay on it, my street. My street drops atleast 60' from the main road, to top that off there is a 20' drop on each side of the road one into a sink hole and the other into my field.

I do 360's down the hill with the engine shut off at 20mph haha.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
That is exactly what gets most 4x4 owners in trouble. They think they are invincible because they have 4wd. They think the 4wd will magically save them should they get themselves into trouble, or magically keep them out of trouble.
i cant tell you how many times i seen 4wd go flying down the road thinking they can just because its 4wd. you hit the nail on the head pegging most 4wd owners. I have a 4wd and I still drive slow in snow and ice situations.

rep given:wave:

·
ಠ_ಠ ლ(ಠ益ಠ&#
1,562 Posts
yes, your average 4x4 owner is a complete douchebag, over-confident cocky asshole when driving in snow. when i'm in 2wd or 4wd, i drive as fast as i feel comfortable. it amazes me how i get passed by douche biggalows driving 4wd trucks and suvs. and yes, i sometimes see these same assholes in the ditches, or with their hazards on waiting for a cop to show up because they just rear-ended someone. i know what you're talking about, and i agree with everything you said.
When I take my big truck out I dont get stuck :mullet: and if I were to rearend anybody I would be on top of them. Gota love the 90degree approach angle.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Imho

Had a rear drive and 2 4x4s. In my old reg cab rear drive stick, I don't care what I did, weight in the back, throttle control, top notch tires, whatever, I wasn't going anywhere in more than a few inches and I went up every road sideways even when I could move. Last two were quad cab 4x4s with a better weight distribution. Weight in the bed works up to a point but in some conditions it becomes ballast causing the rear to swing around more easily. I find more cab and less bed is more stable than a long bed with weight in the back.

But in my Quad Cab 4x4 when I had top notch all terrains I was good to go on flat ground in up to 4-5 inches but needed 4x4 for anything more than that or for steep hills. I only used 4x4 for the rougher patches. In my 09 Tundra Crewmax with crappy factory street tires I'm in 4x4 more often than not.

4x4 DOES NOT prevent you from flying off the side of the road if you're driving too fast for conditions. But when making turns at reasonable rates of speed having the front wheels turning too can help you pull through the turn more smoothly with less likelihood of the rear end coming around. Don't believe me, go around the same turn in snow in 2wd and 4wd and tell me which feels more stable.

It does not help you brake and it will not overcome boneheaded driving but it DOES lend an extra measure of stability if you're driving reasonably. On ice it DOES help with forward traction. I have been on uphill ice slicks where the tires spin and the truck stays still when going up hill but then in 4wd I move forward. But in my opinion it does nothing else for you on that type of surface because unlike snow or dirt where there's something for the tires to dig at in a turn to help with stability there is nothing but a nice smooth slick surface and 4wd or no you're going sideways.

In our last 18 incher I watched rear drive and front drive cars slip and slide and get stuck and spin out all day. I saw tons of cars abandoned in snowdrifts, maybe 1-2 accidents involving 4x4s out of the dozen or so accidents and near misses I saw during the day. Then towards the end of the day the 'gotta go get milk and eggs in a blizzard but too cheap to buy 4x4' crowd got the message and it was only slow moving 4x4s on the road with alot less drama. 4wd is like anything else, it's all up to the operator. It can take you where you otherwise couldn't go and keep you safer while doing it or it can just get you into more trouble. 2wd owners who talk smack, throw some weight in the bed and come out with me next time we get two feet of snow and if you can go everywhere I can go like you claim I'll gladly eat my words.

Reactions: larstrak
1 - 20 of 37 Posts