Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please help w/ my grille!

Hi,
I just got the billet grille for my 2000 Durango. I got the stock black plastic gille off, but now for the life of me, I can't figure out how to put the new one on. Can anyone help?! It seems like the grille won't fit around the latch that opens the hood.
If anyone has done this, please let me know how you did it. Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
does anyone know a website where i can download directions how to install a billet grill? or does anyone know how to install it??:confused:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DANM MAN. :dammit: . I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.. I BOUGHT MINE FROM THIS GUY FROM EBAY FOR MY 03 DURANGO BUT THE INSTRUCTIONS HE GAVE ME DIDN'T HELP AT ALL!!! I MEAN PUTING IT ON IS NOT THAT MUCH OF A PROBLEM THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE SAFETY LATCH IN IN THE WAY AND EVEN IT I GET AROUND IT HOW WOULD I EVEN OPEN THE HOOD, MY FINGERS DON'T FIT IN THOSE LITTLE HOLES... :end:
I HOPE SOMEONE COULD HELP US.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm Sorry But I Dont Understand What You Said With The Latch. Could You Please Be A Lil More Detailed..
That Grille Is Really Killing Me ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think he meant you need to make an extension or something so that you can open your hood once you get it closed... but that doesn't really help you, not yet anyway :jester:

I haven't installed one (not on a Dak or Durango anyway) so I can't help ya... did the grille come with something that attaches to the latch so you can open the hood?

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
Get a small piece of metal rod [18" long] and and make a 90 degree bend close to the end. Directly below that make another 90 so that the rod now has two 90's in it. The direction of the rod still should be going the same way though.

Drill a small hole in your hood latch mechanism just big enough to feed the rod, with the two 90 degree bends,through. The rod should be hanging downwards. Tiewrap the rod lengh to the middle bar on the backside of your grill loosely and put another 90 at the bottom. Cut off the excess rod.

In this way, once your interior hood latch is popped, you reach directly below the grill and push up on the metal rod to activate the secondary hood latch.

Kinda hard to explain....... I'll post some pics here of mine later today or tomorrow and you'll get the idea. BTW..... I've got a billet grill on my truck also and had to do this.

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
norcadj said:
DANM MAN. :dammit: . I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.. I BOUGHT MINE FROM THIS GUY FROM EBAY FOR MY 03 DURANGO BUT THE INSTRUCTIONS HE GAVE ME DIDN'T HELP AT ALL!!! I MEAN PUTING IT ON IS NOT THAT MUCH OF A PROBLEM THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE SAFETY LATCH IN IN THE WAY AND EVEN IT I GET AROUND IT HOW WOULD I EVEN OPEN THE HOOD, MY FINGERS DON'T FIT IN THOSE LITTLE HOLES... :end:
I HOPE SOMEONE COULD HELP US.
You simply tie wrap the billet grill onto your existing grill. I'm gonna post some pics in the thread you started norcadj on the hood latch mechanism. That's simple too.

Should have some pics on the tie wraps too.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Alta Boy said:
You simply tie wrap the billet grill onto your existing grill. I'm gonna post some pics in the thread you started norcadj on the hood latch mechanism. That's simple too.

Should have some pics on the tie wraps too.

Or I can combine the two since both threads are the same thing :D

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
:toast: This is how you do your secondary hood latch mechanism when you install the billet grill cause there's no way to pop the hood without it. :huh:

View of rod that has to be made up and cable tied loosely to the middle bar of your grill:

Veiw of the lower part of the rod at the bottom of the grill:

Veiw of the secondary hood latch mechanism: *note: A small hole big enough for the rod to fit through will have to be drilled in the latch.

Can you spot the cable ties holding the billet grill in place? That's how you attach it to your stock grill. When you wanna open the hood, pop the inside hood release, then come to the front of the truck, reach under at the bottom of your grill and push up on the rod to trip the secondary hood latch.

Hope this helps you guys out. :p

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You could also give Street Scene a call. They have a hood latch relocator that comes with their speed grill kit. They might sale you just the latch kit. Its much cleaner and requires no drilling. Their website is www.streetsceneeq.com

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
Brian617 said:
You could also give Street Scene a call. They have a hood latch relocator that comes with their speed grill kit. They might sale you just the latch kit. Its much cleaner and requires no drilling.

But a piece of 1/8" round metal rod that no ones gonna see, and the drilling of one hole that doesn't compromise anything, is by far a lot cheaper I bet.

My rod is rusted so it would probably be a good idea to paint any unfinished raw metal rod with some paint before you install it.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx alot alta... your explanation really helped... i installed my grill today and it looks hot.. danm bro i thought i wasnt gonna be able to do it... btw the pics really helped thanks.. i'm gonna post some pics of my baby(the D) with da new grill....

THANKS ALOT!!!!

·
Dakotaholic
243 Posts
I have the street scene grill w/the cable kit and it is awesome, but anyway you could use a stainless steel rod instead of just steel and avoid the rust.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts