Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...this is my first post here...I just registered 2 minutes ago. I have a 2003 Durango 4wd and I would like to know how big of a tire I can put on before I will encounter problems with rubbing in the front. I would like a "meaty" looking tire that looks like it's going to run you over when you look at it...but I would like a decent lifetime out of the tire too. I will be driving it in snow in the mountains when winter comes back around too. If anybody has any pictures that would be awesome in helping me find something I like.

In addition, I would like to know if anybody hears a weird noise coming from the front drivers side firewall when they brake semi to really hard. I hear a noise but it's so odd that I don't even know where to begin describing it. Thanks!

Paul

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't personally think that tire selection is good for your winter conditions. Fat tires tend to ride up on the snow instead of cutting through it. If you go with the wide tires, drive it like a 2x.

My 98 D has this groaning sound to it on a firm brake. I couldn't find a reason for it but I think it's just a vibration. Is that what it sounds like?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grinding Noise

I also hear this noise when I brake hard on my 2000 durango. It scared me the first time it sounds like grinding. Someone who was riding in my car tried to tell me that it was the anti-lock brakes, but I've had other vehicles and never heard anything like this!

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Go with a 31x10.5.....My friend's mom has 31x10.5 A/T's on her red Durango and it looks perfect. Anything bigger than you'll probably rub.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Depending on the pads, I know the stock pads had problems with what is called "Brake moan" which is under medium to hard braking, the pads just "moan" it's not a problem, just an annoyance. I think they fixed the problem, not sure...

31X1050s are the deal on Stock Dak/Rango's Get some BFG AT KO's and that thing will be unstopable in the snow. My old man has has Goodyear AT/D's Yokohama Geolander ATII's and BFG ATKO's and he swears by the ATKO's. They have a near silent street ride, they grip like mad in the snow, wet, dirt, sand and of course dry pavement. Gotta love em! :mullet:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah...I'd say it 's a cross between a groan and a grind but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the wheels...more towards the firewall where my feet would be. Does anybody have some pictures of thier tire setups? I've been looking but haven't found anything aside from a few stock pictures so far.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would also have to say its your pads

.Our D does that as well and having stock pads or cheap-o pads will do that for some vehicles under hard braking and with durangos hard braking means just about any time you want to stop :joke:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts