Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ran them on a 1979 G.M.C. 2500, 8' bed, 4x4, and a 1988 Dodge Ram, also with an 8' bed and 4x4 and I loved them. Great tires in the snow with great road manners. Never left me stranded. I would be running them on my 1999 Dakota but I got a good deal on a set of Falkin Wildpeaks.

·
9,489 Posts
Are they as awful in the mud as the original TA/KO's are? I ran a set of those on one of my Ramchargers.. They were good in everything but mud - the tread packed up solid and they turned into slicks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Seeing as the rugged terrain is essentially a street tuned version of the all terrain, are these essentially a more off-road oriented all terrain to bridge the gap between all terrains and mud terrains? They look the same with a more aggressive sidewall, is that it?

·
9,489 Posts
And keep this junk out of my section. Tech Exchange is OFF LIMITS for random posting - including by vendors.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Side note: We apologize if we posted this in the wrong section but this thread was started to discuss the new BFG TA KO2 tire so putting it in the "tire" section seems like the most appropriate fit. This is not a "sale" thread. These tires aren't available yet and aren't listed on our website.

I'll be including more of this in my write up but.. as for mud traction, while in Baja on our test we were caught in a torrential downpour (not an exaggeration - "Hurricane Odile"). The desert washes seemed to instantly fill with water and every surface turned to mud. It was a wet, sticky mess and everyone had a hard time seeing through their mud smeared helmets. As it got worst I honestly started to think that maybe we shouldn't be here right now. I was in a 2wd Baja Challenge buggy at the time and I had my doubts about making it back to solid ground. Luckly, with a lot of wheel spin and some momentum the tires cleaned out enough to keep biting and we all kept moving. We crossed a few washes deep enough to submerge the front end of the vehicle and fill the floor with rushing water and we powered up sections of the trail that were now more of a river flowing down toward us. We also passed through muddy cow pastures that flung mud (we'll most of it was mud) all over us. Eventually we had made it over 12 miles in the mess and finally back out onto a highway without anyone getting stuck.

With all that said, the new KO2 is still an all terrain. There are better tires for mud but from our experience this tire does clean out better than the original and the improved sidewall lugs certainly helped with some additional bite through the muddy baja desert.

Here's a few quick photos of our vehicle before and after the down poor had passed as well as a photo of our trail leader. I wish I would have been able to capture the downpour as it was happening but I didn't want to risk loosing my camera equipment or cell phone to the elements.

Before (morning):

After (mid afternoon):

Our Baja Trail leader (notice the layers of mud on his sunglasses in his pocket? (lol) :

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

BFG will release their new All-Terrain T/A KO2 in two phases. Phase one(1) is scheduled for November 2014
and phase two(2) is scheduled for March and April 2015.

In other news, BFG dropped a new All-Terrain T/A KO2 tire from 10,000 feet and drove away on it.
Guess the spot on Playground Earth it hit and you could win a set for yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts