Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I don't post up here often, but I need to dump this somewhere.

So my boyfriend and I (yes I'm a girl, no you can't have nude pics) work at the same place, a little steel fab shop that does structural steel. I work in the office making all the CAD drawings for the shop. He is the head of maintenance. The company is going thru a rough patch, due to the economy and what not, and the only way we've been able to get work is to get it done before anyone else can. So a few guys have been working on the weekends, after putting in 40 hours during the week. Well the owner has gotten into the habit of not paying anyone overtime. His solution is to give you "comp time" which means if you worked 45 hours one week, you only work 35 the next week, saving him from having to pay overtime. Well most employees have gotten wise to this and won't work anything over 40hrs a week. But on Friday we got some equipment bases from a local paper mill that they needed back on Monday. So a few guys from the shop had to work this past weekend, my bf being one of them. They all made sure before they agreed to work that they would get overtime and double time if they worked on sunday, and they were told the mill was paying for the labor and they would get paid what they should. So my bf worked 18 hrs this weekend, and today the owner comes up and tells him and the other guys that worked over the weekend that the company could afford to pay them over/double time and they would get comp time. Its a load of bullshit, and in WI its illegal to not pay overtime to anyone who works over 40 hours a week. Not to mention my situation. I started out working part time here while I was going to school, then when i graduated in May, I went to full-time, but i was still getting paid part-time wages and not getting any benefits. I still dont get paid what i should and i'm still not offered health insurance, paid holidays or paid vacation. We'd both quit, if we could find other jobs, but those are very few and far between, especially up here in rural WI.

Okay, end rant.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
It sucks when an employer goes back on their word. I am sure that the labor laws are different in the U.S. than Canada, but my only advice that I can give you so that it doesn't happen again is this: make sure all shift changes, o/t etc. are in writing and signed by both employer and employee. Takes the guess work out of everything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh its all documented on timecards and what not, it would be very easy to make a case to the authorities. But if someone were to do that its very possible that place would go under and if it didn't they'd be out a job.

·
The Asian Persuasion
2,644 Posts
It sucks when an employer goes back on their word. I am sure that the labor laws are different in the U.S. than Canada, but my only advice that I can give you so that it doesn't happen again is this: make sure all shift changes, o/t etc. are in writing and signed by both employer and employee. Takes the guess work out of everything.
Agreed. And if they try to deny you even after it's in writing, lawsuit baby!

If all else fails.....STRIKE!!!!!! :mullet: :jester: j/k

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If the company can't afford to pay it's employees what they are owed, then chances are that company won't be around long.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That why I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Quit = No Income
Strike = No Income
Got to Athorities = No Income
And we're broke with jobs we have.

So we're gettin fucked and there isn't a thing we can do about it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the company can't afford to pay it's employees what they are owed, then chances are that company won't be around long.
Agreed, but the thing is they would be able to pay people what they should be getting paid, if they just scheduled work around what we can do in a 40 hr work week.

·
hobby or addiction?
899 Posts
I would talk to the board of labor. In Wyoming, we are a right to work state, so if we took that issue to the state, it would be hard for them to fire an employee after that, im sure you could file a complaint annonymously. Something needs to be done.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
Oh its all documented on timecards and what not, it would be very easy to make a case to the authorities. But if someone were to do that its very possible that place would go under and if it didn't they'd be out a job.
You can't be fired for going after what is legally owed, and if they do you've got a lawsuit.

Agreed. And if they try to deny you even after it's in writing, lawsuit baby!
yep

very true, should be on the search
That why I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Quit = No Income
Strike = No Income
Got to Athorities = No Income
And we're broke with jobs we have.
Did you just graduate HS? Have you looked into fafsa? You can get paid for going to college. Considered relocating? I know you were just wanting to vent. I always give my wife unsolicited advice, sometimes she says I was just venting, I didn't want feedback!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would talk to the board of labor. In Wyoming, we are a right to work state, so if we took that issue to the state, it would be hard for them to fire an employee after that, im sure you could file a complaint annonymously. Something needs to be done.
It's the same here, technically they're not allowed to fire you for something like that but in this little company/town word travels fast, and eventually they'd find out and just say they fired you for something else.

·
Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!
2,496 Posts
It's the same here, technically they're not allowed to fire you for something like that but in this little company/town word travels fast, and eventually they'd find out and just say they fired you for something else.
Most times, these proceedings can be started without any names being mentioned. There's no way for them to find out who started things.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you just graduate HS? Have you looked into fafsa? You can get paid for going to college. Considered relocating? I know you were just wanting to vent. I always give my wife unsolicited advice, sometimes she says I was just venting, I didn't want feedback!
I graduated tech school with a Associates Degree in Mechanical Design in May. I've thought about going back to school, but I don't thing i'd be able to afford it, even if tuition and books were covered. I'd have to drive an hour to get to school, so pay for gas, truck & insurance payments, and then food and help with the mortgage. If i were to move closer to school I'd have to pay rent if i could find somewhere to take me and my dog. Relocating isn't really an option. My bf has really bad eye sight to the point where he has a restricted licence, he can only drive 15 miles from home, if we were to move, he'd have to take a road test where ever we moved to, without practice and without being able to read road signs.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
Ok, I know I don't post up here often, but I need to dump this somewhere.

So my boyfriend and I (yes I'm a girl, no you can't have nude pics) work at the same place, a little steel fab shop that does structural steel. I work in the office making all the CAD drawings for the shop. He is the head of maintenance. The company is going thru a rough patch, due to the economy and what not, and the only way we've been able to get work is to get it done before anyone else can. So a few guys have been working on the weekends, after putting in 40 hours during the week. Well the owner has gotten into the habit of not paying anyone overtime. His solution is to give you "comp time" which means if you worked 45 hours one week, you only work 35 the next week, saving him from having to pay overtime. Well most employees have gotten wise to this and won't work anything over 40hrs a week. But on Friday we got some equipment bases from a local paper mill that they needed back on Monday. So a few guys from the shop had to work this past weekend, my bf being one of them. They all made sure before they agreed to work that they would get overtime and double time if they worked on sunday, and they were told the mill was paying for the labor and they would get paid what they should. So my bf worked 18 hrs this weekend, and today the owner comes up and tells him and the other guys that worked over the weekend that the company could afford to pay them over/double time and they would get comp time. Its a load of bullshit, and in WI its illegal to not pay overtime to anyone who works over 40 hours a week. Not to mention my situation. I started out working part time here while I was going to school, then when i graduated in May, I went to full-time, but i was still getting paid part-time wages and not getting any benefits. I still dont get paid what i should and i'm still not offered health insurance, paid holidays or paid vacation. We'd both quit, if we could find other jobs, but those are very few and far between, especially up here in rural WI.

Okay, end rant.

can we atleast get clothed pics?

and ur boss sounds like a dickbag. i would say something to the state about it. seems like u guys/girls r getting raped.

G

·
Most times, these proceedings can be started without any names being mentioned. There's no way for them to find out who started things.
There's your answer! :mullet:

can we atleast get clothed pics?

and ur boss sounds like a dickbag. i would say something to the state about it. seems like u guys/girls r getting raped.
And for you, for once in your life show a little respect and STFU!!!

·
lost in translation
4,032 Posts
just to let you know,here in nc when a report is made to the department of labor,the reporter is confidential,,they cannot tell the employer who reported them,,i would think it works the same way their,,also even if you did report them they cant fire you for reporting violations in the work place,now they can fire you for whatever reason other than that,,but if you have enough too show cause that they were doing that just to get back at you.you would have a good case..what ever you do keep your heads up,thats the most important thing,dont let the shit fan draw you in any more,if you know what i mean..best of luck..

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
There's your answer! :mullet:

And for you, for once in your life show a little respect and STFU!!!

i got respect. i know how it sucks to get screwed by a company, not that bad but i do.

i worked at tractor supply, set up the store, didnt get paid for like a month and a half and then they paid me and said todays ur last day. they did this to like 8 people.

but cant blame a guy for wanting to see a chick whos into trucks:huh:

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
I think it's pretty much a Federal law that deals with overtime, but it also hinges on how may full time employees they have.
If y'all really want him to pay up though, you're going to have to make a written contract with him next time he wants a job done with overtime, that way he can't really back out without being sued.

That said, my advice would be to keep your heads down and your mouths shut, if you want to keep collecting a paycheck. Like you said times are rough, so be thankful you have a paying job. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to replace one of you. Probably for less money.

Good luck though!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts