Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to get better gas mileage? I have a 99 Durango slt 5.9 w/toe package and 87k. my com. says I get around 13 miles to the gallon. is this average? if any one could post ways to get better mileage and how much to expect to gain it will help.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
terry said:
I have a 99 Durango slt 5.9 w/toe package and 87k. my com. says I get around 13 miles to the gallon. is this average?
Yeah, it's pretty much average. You've got a heavy SUV and a big motor. Dodge hasn't ever been known to get good gas mileage, so don't expect much more if anything noticable.

The best thing you can do is drive like you're old. It may suck sometimes, but it gets the job done. No other mod could ever compare, since it's free. Other mods will probably do just as much, and cost you money. The best advice I could give is to be easy on the foot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
12-13 mpg is average in my dak... but if im really easy on it i get into the low 14 mpg range.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Swap in a 2.5. The tranny and rear end should handle it ok. :jester:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Like Dodgerjack said keep the pressure up in the tires. The next big hitter is exhaust and air intake. If you have some extra cash a set of headers with a cat back will afford you about 3-4 more miles per gallon on average. A stock replacement K&N or Green filter will give you another 1 mile to the gallon.

J

·
0 Posts
My overhead display said I was getting 13.4. But then I figured it out manualy by keeping track of the mileage and gallons. I got 15, very happy with that. Also have a K&N FIPK and running syn oil though.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
mopar rt said:
Like Dodgerjack said keep the pressure up in the tires. The next big hitter is exhaust and air intake. If you have some extra cash a set of headers with a cat back will afford you about 3-4 more miles per gallon on average. A stock replacement K&N or Green filter will give you another 1 mile to the gallon.
extra cash...... whats that? wish i had some of that.... :joke:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

thanks would a tb spacer help alittle. i was thinking cai, cat back, tb spacer and maybe changing the gears in the rear.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
terry said:
thanks would a tb spacer help alittle. i was thinking cai, cat back, tb spacer and maybe changing the gears in the rear.
Change gears to what? What type of driving do you usually do? Short trips with a lot of stop and go driving can actually benefit from lower gearing. Long high speed trips will benefit from higher gearing.

Whenever your engine is running in open loop your mixture is richer. This occurs most everytime you start your engine cold or at WOT. Anything you can do to heat the engine up quicker will help. Using an electric fan and adding a 180 stat seems to help.

There's not much you can do about WOT when you have a 5.9. :jester:

·
Registered
232 Posts
One of the best mods I made to my 5.9 Ram was a new dist cap and rotor button from NAPA. On the NAPA cap the terminals were all brass vs pot metal like the factory cap.

V

·
0 Posts
I cant wait until I can start putting money in the Rango .... $250 a month in gas is killing me!

·
Registered
152 Posts
That driving like a grandpa works man! I went from gettin 15.2 MPG to 21.5 MPG with my 4.7! I got pulled over 5 times in two weeks so I figured I better slow it down a bit. 1 ticket and 3 warnings...what can a guy do?

·
Registered
446 Posts
My 67 satellite with a somewhat nasty 360, 2600 stall, and 3.23 gears gets about 6 mpg better than my truck will. How can something that weighs the same with overdrive and fuel injection do so much worse milage than something with the aerodynamics of a brick and a carburator.

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
another thing that would help ur mpg. is to get a stock muffler lol..... At least that would help me keep my foot out of it.

iv got a 5.2 liter durango that the overhead says i get 11.7 (tune up 3000 miles ago and runnin synthetic) so you 5.9 and R/T guys gettin 13 mpg. better stop complaining because u got alot more power and better gas milage than me..... :joke: But maybe my no cat converter with no sims isnt helping at all either.......but still no check engine light tho so ill leave it alone for now :biggthump

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a '99 Dakota sport with a 5.2.I was getting 13.8 mpg before i put prolong oil additive on my last oil change,my last two tanks since then have been around 14.6 mpg so i think it's working.By the way ,my driving style is accelerate briskly(not drag but little faster than normal)till i reach the speed i want then i maintain using as little throttle as possible,i also accelerate downhill and coast uphill

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm not doing anything and I seem to be getting 18-19mpg on my 5.2. The downside is that performance seems to have dropped of a bit. Warmer summer air and less fuel? However, I didn't notice anything unusual last summer, generally getting 15-16 mpg. I'm pretty accurate with my fills even to the point of having gas splashing out a bit. Each of the last two or three tanks have seen an increase.

Oh well, I guess I'm not going to complain unless I start getting beat by every v6 in town.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts