Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me the cheapest way (other than exhaust) to increase my MPG? I know that an aftermarket intake helps a little but is there anything else?
 

·
Scared? We're all scared
Joined
·
168 Posts
better gas itself. if you normally run 87 octane, run the 89 or 91 stuff. you'll get an increase there. also, depending on the engine, possibly the performance tips on the main page of this site: Performance

another thing would be to modify your driving style. don't always try to outrun the guy next to you. kinda feather the throttle a little. i don't know your driving style, so please don't take offense to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
More Mile to the G

You can do the above, I have changed my driving also. One because I have put about $6Gs in my truck and two to help save some money (more Gs in the truck ;) ). A cold air intake from a company on the parts list wouldn't hurt neither, I have one from 360airintakez. Here is a link to the parts list: http://www.dakota-durango.com/acces_airintakes.htm

Later,
 
G

·
so an intake would help? anything else thats easy? how about gears? those are difficult because you have to change out the rear end AND the front transfer case right?
 
G

·
Look at it this way. How much money are you going to spend on any upgrade? Then look at how long it would take to make up that much money with your new gas mileage? Not so worth it now, is it? And I do feel your pain, the previous owner of my truck must have declined the "gas mileage" option apparently, because I don't have it :)
 

·
eat cheese or die!
Joined
·
663 Posts
just changing from the stock to a FIPK gained 2 mpg for me. so it's worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
first off face it. you own a gas guzzler. things you can do to help it a bit is CAI/3923 autolite plugs & wires/brass rotor and cap/180 T-stat/cat back exhaust/change sensors/TB/programmer/synthetic fluids and keep your foot out of it :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
rockadaous said:
first off face it. you own a gas guzzler. things you can do to help it a bit is CAI/3923 autolite plugs & wires/brass rotor and cap/180 T-stat/cat back exhaust/change sensors/TB/programmer/synthetic fluids and keep your foot out of it :)
Thats the best, most direct post I've heard in my life! Nice post!

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Bring in lots of cold air and up grade the ignition system. High output coil and a CD like the MSD will help a lot. Covering the bed of the truck will help reduce drag and increase MPG and like someone already said keep your foot out of it.

Higher octane gas will not always increase mileage. Play around with this and see what grade works better. I found that 89 gives me better mileage then 91. Keeping the air pressure in the tires at the correct pressure will save on gas and syn lubes will also increase mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Keep your tailgate down if u don't have a bed cover. It'll help a little. And you should look into the "tornado" who nkows it might actually work. They run about 50-60 bucks. I really don't have to worry about mpg. I drive a little 2.5L.
 
G

·
JRTF83 said:
so an intake would help? anything else thats easy? how about gears? those are difficult because you have to change out the rear end AND the front transfer case right?
Try a synthetic oil for your engine and trans... check the size of your tires. I hear the bigger size tires eat up your gas. Good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,099 Posts
Drive slower, and do not run higher grad gas it is a wast of money and power. I put a K&N drop in filter in my stock air box and it seemed to help alittle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
the 2nd and 3rd most beneficial things I did to improve mileage: switching to Amsoil synthetic (from Mobil 1) and leaving the tailgate down (if i'm not hauling anything) though that only matters on the freeway. Around town 25-40 mph and usually stop and go, the 1st beneficial thing comes into mind: don't gas it so hard. It's tough, but do all three and u'll be surprised. Changing out my plugs this wknd so that'll help hopefully a bit more. I was told switching the differential fluid with Amsoil will help yet more, so that'll be also upcoming on my agenda.

Oh yeah, want to really save gas on the freeway? If you're not in a rush drive behind a semi. I mean you're only going 55 the whole time, but if you think about it, most of your wind drag is eliminated soo...end result, well my overhead thing for the first time ever read 26 mpg :rofl: eventually i got bored and changed lanes, back to 18 mpg.

Good luck! :banana2: <most hilarious emoticon i've seen yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,697 Posts
So, to recap...

Amzoil everything
New plugs, cap, rotor, wires (improved)
FIPK
Exhaust
Mid-grade fuel
And keep my damn foot out of it...

Anything else?

I do mostly stop and go all day. My first week with the truck cost me a full tank ($45.00) so I am highly motivated to make some changes. I accept that it's gonna drink the gas, and I'm fine with that, but anything I can do to help it, I will do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
BlackDak said:
So, to recap...

Amzoil everything
New plugs, cap, rotor, wires (improved)
FIPK
Exhaust
Mid-grade fuel
And keep my damn foot out of it...

Anything else?

I do mostly stop and go all day. My first week with the truck cost me a full tank ($45.00) so I am highly motivated to make some changes. I accept that it's gonna drink the gas, and I'm fine with that, but anything I can do to help it, I will do.
First off.... the Keeping your damn foot out of it idea should be up at the top of the list. I can floor the crap out of my truck... and get horrible gas milage... or drive like mrs granny and get 18 to 19 in the city.

Also.... if you drive 90% in the city... which means nothing over 50 mph... then get some TALL gears... meaning 4.10's if you want... 3.92 gears would be alright... but the taller the better. Reason being... those tall gears like that will get your truck(roughly 4k lbs in weight) moving a LOT easier than say a shorter gear like 3.55's or anything of that magnitude. Also... make sure you consider the hight of your tires. If you put on some HUGE tires... you're gunna lose some milage... not only the fact that there is more rolling mass... but also the fact that those larger tires like that weigh a considerable amount more than your regular sized tires... not to mention the fact that air does weigh SOMETHING....bigger tire... more air.. get it?

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,099 Posts
supradakotaman said:
the 2nd and 3rd most beneficial things I did to improve mileage: switching to Amsoil synthetic (from Mobil 1) and leaving the tailgate down (if i'm not hauling anything) though that only matters on the freeway. Around town 25-40 mph and usually stop and go, the 1st beneficial thing comes into mind: don't gas it so hard. It's tough, but do all three and u'll be surprised. Changing out my plugs this wknd so that'll help hopefully a bit more. I was told switching the differential fluid with Amsoil will help yet more, so that'll be also upcoming on my agenda.

Oh yeah, want to really save gas on the freeway? If you're not in a rush drive behind a semi. I mean you're only going 55 the whole time, but if you think about it, most of your wind drag is eliminated soo...end result, well my overhead thing for the first time ever read 26 mpg :rofl: eventually i got bored and changed lanes, back to 18 mpg.

Good luck! :banana2: <most hilarious emoticon i've seen yet
OK so drive behind a semi, so you will save alittle on gas and have to send alot on paint from all the rock chips, I don't know about that, i try not to driver behind semi's I guess you bought a truck so deal with it, that what I did. If you want good gas mileage buy a small car
 
G

·
I have a big block Power Wagon that get's comparable mileage to my 5.9, WTF? I guess that is the price I pay for leather gut's!
 
G

·
rockadaous said:
first off face it. you own a gas guzzler. things you can do to help it a bit is CAI/3923 autolite plugs & wires/brass rotor and cap/180 T-stat/cat back exhaust/change sensors/TB/programmer/synthetic fluids and keep your foot out of it :)
How was your sensors changed and was it hard to replace them? Can it be done without taking it to a shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
TPS sensor and IAC valve use torx screws. the crank shaft sensor has 2 bolts. easy to change.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top