Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys are using the the 4.7, I have a 02 quad cab 4x4 and it is kind of a pig mileage wise, looking for something to get some more mileage and maybe some power, but prefer mileage. I saw the SCT but their site says it doesnt come with the tunes, whats the deal with that?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also what about the Superchips flashpaq? I sell alot of Superchips for diesel apps but have never used one on a gasser.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I got a Superchips 3715 from AIR RAM 20 months ago. It was good for a solid 1 mpg improvement. Since I drive the Dak 30K miles annually, it paid for itself a long time ago, even on the 91 Performance program using 93 octane fuel. Speedo calibration with 1/4" tire size changes is a nice bonus.
Keep in mind that the main performance/mpg problem with the 4.7 is the factory exhaust Y-pipe with its 1 1/2" diameter each bank into the Y. Magnaflow's version costs about $40.
A QC 4x4 weighs at least 4500 lbs. curb weight. Synthetic fluids in the entire drivetrain will help minimize energy loss.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a Superchips 3715 from AIR RAM 20 months ago. It was good for a solid 1 mpg improvement. Since I drive the Dak 30K miles annually, it paid for itself a long time ago, even on the 91 Performance program using 93 octane fuel. Speedo calibration with 1/4" tire size changes is a nice bonus.
Keep in mind that the main performance/mpg problem with the 4.7 is the factory exhaust Y-pipe with its 1 1/2" diameter each bank into the Y. Magnaflow's version costs about $40.
A QC 4x4 weighs at least 4500 lbs. curb weight. Synthetic fluids in the entire drivetrain will help minimize energy loss.
Their Y pipe is only $40? Are you running it? I emailed hemifever about his SCT tunes so I guess I will see between the two. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also do you have a part number for their Y pipe? I looked on their site and didnt see anything but tailpipes for the Dakota.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Also do you have a part number for their Y pipe? I looked on their site and didnt see anything but tailpipes for the Dakota.
10778 (2 1/2" dual-into-3") is the one I use. I have 2 1/2" pipes from the manifolds replacing the OEM 2". The 3" exit leads into a 3" Carsound hi-flow catalytic converter (made by Magnaflow), and 22" Magnaflow muffler with 2 1/2" duals and 4" tips. :banana2:
At www.magnaflow.com click on "Products" on their homepage, on the drop-down "Y-pipes, etc." Magnaflow doesn't give prices, but that is what an independent muffler shop in Oak Ridge, TN sells them for. The cat. was about $130. :goodluck:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I ran superchips in my truck for a long time and it was well worth it! The only reason I'm taking it off is because I now have a blower and need SCT to tune it.

I can't use it anymore but still haven't sold it because I liked it so much lol...

I would buy another again in a heart beat! 01Motorsports keeps track of his MPG every time he fills up if I recall correctly so I trust him when he says 1MPG improvement, sounds like about what I got with mine too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts