Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MOPAR or NO CAR!
467 Posts
I run Bosch Platinums in everything I own. I have had good luck with them for 12 years now and I have no intention of switching. :mullet:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just installed bosch platinum 4's and noticed a good improvement in performance and mileage.

·
MOPAR or NO CAR!
467 Posts
swedish_dakota said:
Just installed bosch platinum 4's and noticed a good improvement in performance and mileage.
Platinum Fours are ok on new and restored engines. Older ones they run a little to hot and may couse problems. IME Just get the plain platinums. You'll notice the change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Autolite 3923s. 5224 is stock heat range with extended tip. The 3924 is the same heat range as the 5224 but without the extended tip. 3923 is one heat range cooler without the extended tip. By stepping down one heat range and getting rid of the extended tip many magnum engines stop pinging since there isn't a glowing red ember stuck in the chamber.

I have tried Bosch, Bosch Platinum, Autolite (5224, 3924, 3923, 3922), NGK, Nippondenso and AC Delco Rapid Fires in my 3.9 over the years. I kept returning to Autolite 3923s because 1) they were cheap 2) they worked well 3) they lasted longer than other brands for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I haven't had any problems so far, but i guess its early days yet, lol

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Bosch platinums for me...I'm interested in trying the autolite 3923s though...especially with ethanol in gas now. Hotter explosions calls for lower temp plugs.

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Michaeljr5 I run Bosch Platinums in everything I own. I have had good luck with them for 12 years now and I have no intention of switching.
I also run the Bosch Platinums in all my cars.....best plug made in my opinion...but consider the source....

Bryan
:drive:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i got the autolite 3923's today and installed them. seems to push you back in your seat a little more. it also sounds a little deeper at about 4000 rpms. If you haven't changed sparks plugs in your truck, be sure not to worry about time because some of the plugs are hard to get to.

·
MOPAR or NO CAR!
467 Posts
Hellfire said:
How about the Bosch Platinum 2 are they alright to use???

No better than the plain platinums. The regular one run $1 - $2 each. That's like $16 tops for my V8. Plus the Wires are tops $30. So topped out give or take a little $50 to do it yourself. Also on the 5.9s, it's easy as cake. You can get to all 8 of them in no time. Took me 25 minutes and 2 beers! LOL

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
JohnJr30236 said:
Will the Autolite 3923's fit in a 00 3.9L? Advanced Auto Parts's website says only 04-05 Dakotas.
Yes, they will fit in your truck. I had them in for about a year, but have swapped them out for some NGK's. I haven't noticed any difference between the 2.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Autolites 3923's are good sparks but the bosch platinum 4's are much better. My brother just installed those on his kota 3.9 and noticed a lot more power increase than I did. then again I'm comparing 10 dollar sparks to 40 dollar sparks. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
135 Posts
dodgeboy_8 said:
Autolites 3923's are good sparks but the bosch platinum 4's are much better. My brother just installed those on his kota 3.9 and noticed a lot more power increase than I did. then again I'm comparing 10 dollar sparks to 40 dollar sparks. just my 2 cents
so you have the 3923's i assume? if i went with champion plugs what part number would i need to step down a heat range and lose the extended tip?

·
Registered
209 Posts
dodgeboy_8 said:
Ask your brother does his engine run rough or does it run hotter??

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought a 01 3.9 5 spd 4x4 . It has 38k on it. With no changes, just as bought, the first tank delivered 18.4 mpg on 87 Octane with about 50/50 highway / city, with a lot of the highway driving being at 70 + mph.

After filling up Friday evening, Sat morning I installed the 3923 spark plugs to replace the factory Champions..I also switched to 5w 30 mobil 1 synthetic with Mobil 1 filter.

I'll keep an eye on the mileage on the next couple of tanks...to see if it's worth any difference.

Next will be a test of using a 180 thermostat and removing the factory clutch fan.

And hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be adding a Magnaflow muffler...so we'll see.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
to follow up on this thread, still no problems with the platinum 4's and if i drive 60 mph as I had to on the I-35 between Waco and Dallas, I got 30 mpg without A/C on...(its finally starting too cool off in Texas)....with A/C i got about 25 mpg.... :banana2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I installed NGK platnum and now I have a slight ping sometimes,Im going to go with the autolight 3923s this weekend.Some people have told me the platnums are to hot for the magnum engines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts