Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced my '99 5.2 4WD axle shaft assemblies with NAPA "lifetime warranty" shafts by A1 Cardone. After 4K miles they have already started throwing grease and one boot slipped loose. CRAP! I was wondering if you off-road guys could recommend a good brand axle shaft assembly that I could depend on.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
and one boot slipped loose.
ive never seen a boot slip off, they usually tear first. those clamps are pretty tight on there. you may have had a defective one or one that wasnt crimped all the way. it was probably just a fluke that this one slid off. if the boot isnt ripped, get a pair of the crimp pliers and one of those crimp clamps and throw another one on there instead of replacing the whole thing. you shouldnt even have to take the truck apart to do that.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
you can't really expect much out of any rebuilt CV axles. best is to buy them new but i'll cost ya. rebuilt ones will fail sooner and depending on how many times they have been through the reman process it only gets worse. that's why they are lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Napa has the best warranty in the business, take it back. Personally, when one of my boots gets a tear, I take it to a shop and have it done. Usually about $115.00 parts and labor to replace and repack it, maybe double that to replace the entire unit parts and labor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts