Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Durango (5.2)

About a month ago the belt started making a horrible squeaking noise. Thinking it was just the belt I let it go on. Had the oil in the truck changed, squeaking went totally away, for about a week. When the squeak came back, it quickly turned into a grinding chunking noise. I figured a pulley of some sort is going out. On my way home yesterday, I began smelling coolant. sure enough, I am thinking Water pump failure. I spend the better part of a weekend changing the pump out. Tonight I fired it up and everything is hunky doory, until about 10 minutes of run time. The beginning of the same squeak again.

Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
509 Posts
try candle wax

drummer09001 said:
98 Durango (5.2)

About a month ago the belt started making a horrible squeaking noise. Thinking it was just the belt I let it go on. Had the oil in the truck changed, squeaking went totally away, for about a week. When the squeak came back, it quickly turned into a grinding chunking noise. I figured a pulley of some sort is going out. On my way home yesterday, I began smelling coolant. sure enough, I am thinking Water pump failure. I spend the better part of a weekend changing the pump out. Tonight I fired it up and everything is hunky doory, until about 10 minutes of run time. The beginning of the same squeak again.

Any help will be appreciated

If it's just the belts you can try rubbing candle wax while the motor runs and see if that takes the squeak away.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
rimfire said:
If it's just the belts you can try rubbing candle wax while the motor runs and see if that takes the squeak away.

rimfire,22
I would not do that, you can make the belt slip of the pullys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts