Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the benefits of putting a smaller belt on the 5.9? as in skiping the ac, what will it help if ne thing? I never use it ne way i just want to know if it would be worth the hassle... :help: :drive:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Usually the shorter belt bypasses the power steering pump. If the ac clutch is not engaged there is less drag than you think. Since bypassing the pump is not an option for daily driving you would be better off going with underdrive pulleys if they are available for your vehicle.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Under the hood there is a diagram with a rout of the belt and then there is a doted line that says "no ac" and it is going under just the ac thing and not ne thing else.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of anyone bypassing the power steering pump but taking the ac condensor out the accessory drive is quite common. Don't know how much power the AC consumes but all the accessories on the front of the engine do consume close to 1/3 of the power generated by the engine.

On my 99 Dakota the ac compressor is engaged in all but 2 postions on the heat/ac funtion switch so it will be comsuming power most of the time. So if you truely don't use it will only cost you the price of a non ac belt to try.

NOTE: if your goal is better mpg and you do a lot of hiway driving you will get better mileage with the windows closed and the ac on than with the windows down.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
NOTE: if your goal is better mpg and you do a lot of hiway driving you will get better mileage with the windows closed and the ac on than with the windows down.
That's true, but pretty much only at highway speeds. Around town you are better off with the a/c off and the windows down. What we are talking about is basically parasitic drag which is a curve and not linear. You are probaly at the break even point around 45-50 mph. That's just a guess, but I don't think that I'm too far off.

If you open the front windows on a CC, also open the vent windows in the rear to allow the air to flow thru. Opening any of the windows ever so slightly can help your a/c work more efficiently and not have an impact on drag.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
Vipervenom said:
What are the benefits of putting a smaller belt on the 5.9? as in skiping the ac, what will it help if ne thing? I never use it ne way i just want to know if it would be worth the hassle... :help: :drive:

well, less drag o nteh motor wdoes equate to more HP and more MPG....

just pop into your local parts store and get ask for a belt for the no AC option.... even better if ya is runnin an under drive crank pully.

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
If you do decide to bypass the A/C dont buy a belt for for a 5.9 with out the A/C...... i tried that with my 5.2 and the belt was too short......youll have to measure the pulleys wth a string and take it to your parts store to get the right fit.....

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Really? They consume that much? I wonder how just taking your belt completely off for a run down the track would work. :biggthump

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
boominkota318 said:
Really? They consume that much? I wonder how just taking your belt completely off for a run down the track would work. :biggthump

youd boil over your motor on the return back to the pits.

·
3,954 Posts
aww yea, maybe a belt around the crank pully, tensioner and waterpump only, bypass the PS, A/C, and alt

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
boominkota318 said:
aww yea, maybe a belt around the crank pully, tensioner and waterpump only, bypass the PS, A/C, and alt
only way ya get around the alt is to run a racing battery.... we kinda need it to run our ignition system...

many R/T owners run the "short belt" when at the track.(water pump, tensioner and alt only)

·
3,954 Posts
i think i could easily make it down the track on just my Optima. The other night I went to walmart (about 2 miles away), back to my house, then out to my girls house (7 miles) on JUST the battery. My alternator was completely unhooked. And I made it there just fine with no problems and no sign of performance loss. Thats with starting it a total of 3 times also!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
The under drive pulley will give you around five more horses. If you by-pass the A/C, do not do it for long. If you let it go idle for too long of a time the seal will dry up and crack causing a big repair cost latter.

Going with an electric fan and doing away with the clutch fan affords a few more horses and if your up to it you can install an electric water pump and gain a few more there. Some companies make alternators that have a reduced drag but I’m not sure if they make one for the Dakota or not.

I'm running with one under drive pulley on the crank with an electric water pump and duel electric fans and no clutch fan. I picked up on average 3 miles to the gallon. Time will tell if the electric water pump will hold up or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts