Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to find a good one.

Heard the metal ones were the best since the factory ones get warped.

Cheers

B

·
0 Posts
It's not so much the gasket as it is the belly pan that's the problem. Aluminum intake with a metal belly pan causes expansion and contraction at different rates causing the gasket to blow out. Get yourself one of these before you pull the intake and it'll solve your problems. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...uOSk=&searchmode=keyword&page=54&partid=22234

Sandwich the new gasket between 2 layers of the red high temp silicone and you'll be good to go! :mullet:

B

·
0 Posts
I'm going to sell my stock kegger, I'm wondering if it'd be worth my time to open it up, trim the runners, and install a new gasket? I've seen several stockers go for $40+sh. I know I won't be spending $75 on a plenum plate.
There's no way I install the kegger intake without first replacing the steel belly pan with the aluminum one. Now if you're going to modifiy your kegger for sale then let the buyer make that decision.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
There's no way I install the kegger intake without first replacing the steel belly pan with the aluminum one. Now if you're going to modifiy your kegger for sale then let the buyer make that decision.
Yeah, there's no way I'd spend the extra money I might not get back. I guess cleaning and modding I could sell it w/ out the gasket and new plenum plate. How much have you gotten for the ones you've modded for people? That was them sending you there stocker right? I might as well get some use out of this 11cfm compressor and air tools.

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah, there's no way I'd spend the extra money I might not get back. I guess cleaning and modding I could sell it w/ out the gasket and new plenum plate. How much have you gotten for the ones you've modded for people? That was them sending you there stocker right? I might as well get some use out of this 11cfm compressor and air tools.
I've never modified one for someone else, just for resale and have gotten as much as $150 shipped for one. If you figure in your time on modifiying a kegger and then selling it, it's really not worth it effort.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
I've never modified one for someone else, just for resale and have gotten as much as $150 shipped for one. If you figure in your time on modifiying a kegger and then selling it, it's really not worth it effort.
w/ or w/ out gaskets and plenum plate? Yeah, I figure it's really not worth my time. I am going to go the auto hobby shop and use the parts washer on some brackets for my build, would that totally eat away the gasket that's in there?

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
What makes you think the alluminum is better? The steel is a thick gauge, allowing less expansion and flex. Where do you get an alluminum and what is the difference in both? Is it the one posted on another thread for $75, that is a rip off!

B

·
0 Posts
What makes you think the alluminum is better? The steel is a thick gauge, allowing less expansion and flex. Where do you get an alluminum and what is the difference in both? Is it the one posted on another thread for $75, that is a rip off!
Say what!!!! The steel belly pan is the weak link in the intake manifold. Just like I said, the aluminum intake and the steel belly expand and contract at 2 different rates and the paper thin gasket can't handle that type of change. This has been a known problem since Chrysler started making the Magnum engines!

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
I see what your saying.

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not so much the gasket as it is the belly pan that's the problem. Aluminum intake with a metal belly pan causes expansion and contraction at different rates causing the gasket to blow out. Get yourself one of these before you pull the intake and it'll solve your problems. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...uOSk=&searchmode=keyword&page=54&partid=22234

Sandwich the new gasket between 2 layers of the red high temp silicone and you'll be good to go! :mullet:

what gasket is the best, i heard the fel pros are good.

since i got that new TB im goona save up for a M1 and then trow both on, but i have all the symptoms that i got a bad one.

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
what gasket is the best, i heard the fel pros are good.

since i got that new TB im goona save up for a M1 and then trow both on, but i have all the symptoms that i got a bad one.
if you get an M1, don't bother with a new belly pan gasket kit. the M1 will eliminate the oil consumption problem these motors have from the factory.

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really?

Well whats the best gaskets to get then, i found a m1 for 220 bucks but no gasket comes with it.

???

B

·
0 Posts
Really?

Well whats the best gaskets to get then, i found a m1 for 220 bucks but no gasket comes with it.

???
Good price on the M1! :mullet:

You'll need an install kit and an intake manifold gasket set. The M1 has no belly pan so you won't need the belly pan gasket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts