Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Depo headlights started to yellow from the inside apparently so I was at my buddys house the other day (my painter) and he suggested we smoke them to take away from the look. After we pulled the out we decided to do the whole front end blacked out. The ss grills came out really nice! you can still see the aluminum look through the black. Im getting a new upper bumper to paint that black as well but it looks better for now i think. Heres a before and after. BTW light output at night is actually not that much difference than before. Just use the brights to offset the lense. I plan on running HIDs in the fogs for my main lights anyways.
Before

After

Also this isnt any cheappy nightshades job either. Its HOK clear with some black base added in all sprayed in a booth. The fresh stuff is actually glossier than my trucks paintjob! Were going to tint the hood badge as well when we spray the bumper...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
looks good but you need to get rid of that OE bumper or atleast paint the chrome

**correcting myself** just read that your are already planning on changing the bumper

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
looks bad ass man! im trying for almost the same look you have right now but a lil different.

what did you do to your bottom valance to get it smooth?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get it smooth we sanded it down pretty good and then used this product called slick sand. Its like glass now.

As far as cost he just made me run up and get 2 oz of black base which cost a whopping $3.75 and I pulled everything did all the prep and he spayed them for me. I did buy lunch of course but I do alot of fiberglass work for him also. Im going to break out the digital camera to get a better picture of how it looks. Iphone pic doesnt do it justice...

·
USMC
3,174 Posts
To get it smooth we sanded it down pretty good and then used this product called slick sand. Its like glass now.

As far as cost he just made me run up and get 2 oz of black base which cost a whopping $3.75 and I pulled everything did all the prep and he spayed them for me. I did buy lunch of course but I do alot of fiberglass work for him also. Im going to break out the digital camera to get a better picture of how it looks. Iphone pic doesnt do it justice...
damn i wanna do that to my headlights

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I liked the old look too. I rode with it like that for 2 years it was time for a change. If i end up changing my mind ill go with 1 piece headlights anyways. I like the look of the new ones from the DEPO.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I hear ya about wanting change but idk... it looked great b4. Maybe ill like it after the bumper swap.

·
Registered
18,117 Posts
It looks equally as dark as the headlight covers. Those suckers are black. And I don't know how you drive with your windshield like that...

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
With that bumper, it looked better before.

·
Super Moderator
79,419 Posts
Wasn't so sure at first but then I saw this pic I really like the look of it. Paint the bumper like you said and powdercoat the wheels black and you're in business. That would be killer looking. :mullet:

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Im a bigger fan of chrome than the blacked out look. It does look pretty good thae way it is now. I would have tinted the lights and left the rest chrome.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hows the light output? I love how it looks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts