Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an extra manifold laying around (beer keg). Has anyone had any luck modifying one of them? I have done some research on Hughes engines and know how to modify it, but I would like to see some feedback if anyone knows before I do it. I haven't found it in my pocket book to justify shelling out 400+ for a M-1 yet. I have a 2002 R/T by the way. Thank you -Dennis- :wave:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Go here and save the pics for reference.

·
Your hero
438 Posts
I'm doing mine right now, the EGR makes it a real bitch to do because that divider practically goes all the way down. Can anybody tell what that guy did under the actual EGR part? I see he ground the divider down after that part... but what did he do underneith the actual EGR?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Putting some money into the stock intake will pay off. I think that the right set up on these intakes produces better results then the M1. Hughes Engines seems to have their act together in modifying them and for all that you get their prices are not that high.

The M1 in stock condition is very pricey these days and when you start to make modifications the price starts to get out of hand.

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
how much can actually be gained from cutting the runners down. I read something somewhere that the manifold works on a "frequency" and it is made to work best in mid range. So if the runners are cut back does that mean youll have the same power just higher in the power band, or some actual gains with the loss of low end torque?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the design of the kegger is pretty cool. Although it seems to have its ups and downs. I think I will experiment with it and see how it turns out. I was lucky enough to get one without the egr crap. Instead of reinstalling the bellypan I think I will make one out of 1/4" aluminum plate(like the hughes one). I plan on doing an extensive job on it. Hopefully it will turn out good.

·
Registered
462 Posts
From experience I have found that by going too far with the intake will hinder the acceleration and the throttle will not be as snappy. The intake needs to be matched with the cam and heads to have a balanced system.

From experience a good starting point is port matching, you will be surprised of the difference once the ports are cleaned up on the Keg. Another place to look is matching the T/B to the intake openings.

The pan is also a good mod and having the intake ceramic coated helps dissipate the engine heat keeping the intake air cooler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you do any filling of the plenum or just the turtle Magnum? Do you have any pictures? How did you make it? My plan was to fill in the areas like the hughes manifold was done. It seems the less volume the plenum has the better the throttle response ( to a point I'm sure).Correct me if I am wrong. I do plan in the future to put a bigger cam in it, and new heads as well. So I am wanting to only do the intake once you know what I mean? I probably won't even install it until I do heads and cam.

G

·
Ya I did everything. Welded 1/8" aluminum plate in to fill the volume, cut the runners pretty much off, chamfered the injector ports. Didn't cut the intake port right out but I was actually thinking about doing that & wish I had of now that I see it's actually feasible. It was an idea I had but didn't know what the effects would be so I just gasket matched the ports to the V8 TB.

I did all my work on a milling machine at work. I guess I'm lucky in that respect. Not everyone has access to the right tools. But with patience & a dremel & maybe a little grinder you can do a pretty good job.

I've got some pics but I didn't take any after I filled the volume. :sorry: Here's a couple tho.

I cleaned up the rough edges after this.

And my homemade plenum plate & turtle.

This was all on a V6 kegger mind you. I don't imagine the low end torque loss would be so great on a V8 but I could be wrong there. I did lose some bottom & now I'd like to get some lower gears to compensate.

I'm lookin' for some 3.92's for a 8 1/4" 10 bolt if you hear of any let me know!! :biggthump

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That looks good! Yeah I wish I had access to a milling machine, but I think I can manage with a good dremel. I like that turltle too good job. So you welded in plate instead of filling it with some type of filler. Thats a better idea. I was thinking about cutting the intake port to the tb out too, but I am still trying to do some research first. I don't know of any 3.92s for the 8 1/4, but I will keep the look out going. Thank you :clap2:

G

·
Are you in a hurry? I'll have to see if I can find a chunk of 1/4" aluminum. :cool:

And I'm pretty busy right now. :wah:

Here's my finished manifold just before the install!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have a hunch Magnum will bolt the turtle on next time. :biggthump

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Damn! Bad ass! I was just kidding about the plenum pan. Question though, how hard is it to take the intake off. I know theres not much to it, but im afraid im gonna strip a bolt or break a injector. I also dont have a torque wrench so i wont be able to put it back on properly. Any input?

·
Your hero
438 Posts
I pulled mine the other day and it came off pretty easy. You basically just take off everything thats in it's way. I believe there is 12 bolts that actually hold it down (V6) and 14 bolts that hold the plenum pan, pop it off and you're in. Just buy a torque wrench.. It's good to have anyways. We can post the fastening order and torque specs once you get to that point where you gotta put it back on. Here is a pointer tho, since you have a gen II.. when you go to disconnect the erg from the manifold be very careful when you turn the wrench and dont turn too far because there is an oil pressure sensor that is right next to it and is very fragile, pop that sensor and you're 20 bucks in the hole.. just a word of warning :biggthump

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have two torque wrenches and neither one is light enough to do 12 in/lbs. I use a 1/4 in drive socket and hold my hand over the top of the rachet and snug it up. Holding it like that you would be hard pressed to stretch or break the bolts especially the plenum bolts. You can get a pretty good feel for the right torque by using the same method to remove them. I usually go thru the tightening sequence at least three times when using this method.

If you can find a real cheap beam torque wrench that's probably still a better method. I'm just too cheap.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.