Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else saw the news report on faulty ball joints on the 99-03 dakotas and durangos?..Naturally I just bought an 01..Can't believe Dodge would rather risk people getting hurt and dealing with the lawsuits then have a recall and fix their problem..I see some people here have had to replace their ball joints..I will be keeping a close eye on mine I guess..

·
Registered
142 Posts
yup I seen that today, I was kinda upset about that myself...to bad I didnt hear about that 2 weeks ago when I bought my 02 Dakota R/T, I wouldnt have bought that truck...Who am I kidding, I wouldve still got the truck, CAUSE THIS MUTHA FUKRZ TIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already replace mine on my durango. It's not fun job to do by yourself

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can imagine, which is why I am not looking forward to doing it myself...I do need to get it taken care of right away because I have heard mine pop twice since I have had it...

My question is, do you think its got something to do with the boot and the fact that there is no greaser on the bottom of the ball join? Im thinkin for some reason the boot comes off a lil bit, water pretty much washes away any grease, if any. Then starts to rust, and its just a matter of time for the rust and friction to actually eat away at the ball reducing it in size like stated in that report and then it just falls out...Also, with that greaser missing Im thinking its not even greased which would definitely speed up the process...

·
Registered
142 Posts
stillwater said:
This report talks about the fact you can't grease the joint as maybe being the problem..

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/eveningnews/main3420.shtml
I bet it is, think about it..Everyone I have heard in the 2 weeks I have been on here has had this problem with the right front...Which would be the wheel that gets crambed into puddles doing 40 mph and that water probably pushes the boot off just enough for water to get in there, and not being greased, the water doesnt dry before doing any damage, it immediatly starts to rust..

If they dont wanna put out the recall, they could atleast design something to hold the boot on much tighter....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 4wd dakotas and durangos eat ball joints. I replace them all the time at work. It is probably due to the fact that they dont have grease fittings but if you get aftermarket ball joints, like Moog, they have them. The uppers on the 4wd's are easy, they're riveted in. Just cut the top of the rivet out and drive out the rivet. The new ones come w/ bolts. My 00 Dakota R/T has only went through 1, the drivers upper, in 34,000 miles. And that was for a squeak not play.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think my ball joints are shot, but i have a lowering kit waitin to be installed. it has lowers on the lowering control arms hopefully that solves it

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snubz, a popular place online to get moog ball joints online is www.rockauto.com . I will try and get the part numbers tonight. I just got home form work and it's time for some sleep, lol.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moog Ball Joints rule!

Just finished replacing all my ball joints this weekend. I used the Moog 2002 Dakota part numbers from www.rockauto.com . Drilling the old out was tough but worth it. Energy Suspensions makes polyurethane dust boots that look great and last longer than rubber. Also put in a a Fabtech 2 inch lift while I was under there. Looks great, ride better. The Tie Rod ends Dodge uses need to be drilled for zerk fittings too.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hate to point this out but we auto techs have know about it for years. It is the fact that they have no zerk the thinking was adapted from ford if ya aint gonna put the right greese in it, don't greese it at all.

Other trucks that have major probs with ball joints.....
S-10's
all chevy full size
all ford full size mainly uppers here but lowwers are a prob too.
all dodge full size (diffrent from dak's and durango's)

Main point: if ya buy american trucks check yer ball joints.

The moog problem solvers seem to fis the problem on all makes and models.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had my ball joints replaced at 40k under warranty and I just had them replaced at 90k (out of my pocket) for $1000 for all four! However, it's well worth the money because it makes a WORLD of difference!

04dak - what kind of grease do you reccomend for the ball joints?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts