Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming along nicely on the revival of my 98 Dakota (5.2 4wd club cab), knocked out the leaky water pump and transmission aux oil cooler lines last weekend, not on to the hard stuff...

I'm getting a lot of squeaks in my truck from the suspension, it appears to be coming from under the bed, and my ball joints. Also some play in my wheel that feels like idler/pitman arm.

The ball joints, all except my passenger lower, have play in them, and crunch when i hit a bump with any turn on the wheel.

Couple questions:

1. I've spent a lot of time trying to locate the squeak in the rear, and I'm thinking it might be coming from the mounts holding my bed to the frame, has anyone ever heard of this, or is it probably just the bushings on my leafs?

2. I'll be tearing down the front end suspension stuff, and as I plan to keep this truck for a while. What's everyones view on this kit from Ebay? (I need to have everything fixed for under $400, and trust myself to do it) I'll take it to a shop for alignment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X4-Durango-Dakota-Upper-Control-Arm-Ball-Joint-Tie-Rods-Pitman-12mm-Idler-Arm-/320963796201?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Dakota|Year:1998&hash=item4abaeedce9&vxp=mtr

3. Another thing I'm having that is strange is a lot of tire rub on left turns, but almost none on right turns (possibly from the U&L drivers BJ's going out?)

The truck is on 31x10.5 LT's with the torsion bars cranked, is it normal to have rub with this setup? (it's rubbing on the frame on from the rear side of the tire)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"foreign importers" So... China would be my guess.

I have $400 to fix this truck, and an impending 1300 mile road trip with the truck loaded in 18 days. I think I'm going to just go for this.

Anyone know where all these damn squeaks in the back tend to come from?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Your rubbing issue could be something a little more serious but hopefully the previous owner forgot to put on the wheel spacer on that side?? 31" tires shouldn't rub though, they don't on my '00 dakota in fact I think my current 17" AT tires are just over 32" in diameter. Hopefully it's just the bad ball joints causing the issue, if not it could be worn out control arm bushings, not hard to replace with the right tools but I've never went that far yet with my own truck.

Check out rockauto.com for their Moog ball joints, plus mention this site and you get a 10% discount because they are a sponsor on this site. I currently have those ball joints on my truck and they are absolutely awesome!

As for the rear end squeak it could be the frame to bed bushings, leaf spring bushings, sway bar bushings, even the springs themselves. I had a squeak that was loud enough to echo while driving. Loud screaming high pitch squeak, had a friend in the bed bounce the rear end while I'm under the truck. Turned out to be the sway bars so, out they came!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think any wheel spacers were used, which might be a problem. I'll have to calculate all of the alignment angles. The original wheels were alloy, and these are steel, it's possible they come in further which will be messing with my ride quality.

Either way, I'm not into dealing with the rivets on the upper BJ's, so I think I'll just go with the uppers w/ arms & bushings.

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know this may be just a little late. I have to agree with Clones R/T on the MOOG parts. I had a Chinese ball joint that was less than 6 months old come apart on my '94 2wd on Christmas eve and screw up a bunch of stuff. Not to mention the fact of trying to stay out of on coming traffic! Stay away from the chinese crap. The joint on the other side was almost about to come apart also. I replaced every thing in the front end with Moog parts. There expensive but picture in your mind going down the highway with no steering control what so ever with your family in there with you and a semi heading straight at you and you trying to get stopped!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts