Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bs2:
So I dropped my 2K Dakota 4x4 off at the dealership this morning to have the ball joints replaced for the recall.

The service manager asked me if I wanted to have an alignment done once the parts were replaced.
I asked him "Well.. wouldnt that be a good ides after tearing the front end apart and putting in new hardware?"

He replied that Daimler Crystler is not paying for an alignment once the new joints are put in.... but he will give me half off.

So... my question is... anybody else run into this BS... or is it even BS and just me being crabby about the service.

I have the service manual at home and am very curious to see if an alignment is a NECESSARY step post replacing ball joints. If not.. then I've been had. If it is, then I will be calling Crystler for my money back beings it is part of the process.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I had my ball joints replaced per the recall and did not have an alignment nor was I asked if I wanted one. I have no problems due to misaligned wheels.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Well that was the first thing i thought of when I heard about the recall, but I asked the dealer about it and they said that my truck is not under the recall since it is a 2004. I think that if it is a recall the dealer should have to allign it since the front end was pulled apart. Any time the front end is pulled apart the allignment should be done. I would payt the half price and then call chrysler corp and bitch up a storm and ask for a refund.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp, I got home and checked out the service manual.
Doesn't say anything about requiring an alignment after working on the top A-arms or ball joints. Soooo..

I've been had. :wah:

Oh well.. I actually had to chase the alignment on my truck for the first 2 years I owned it, so it probably didnt hurt to have it done anyway..
especially the way I drive the thing :drive:

No harm no foul.

P.S. Anybody know what the ECU recall was about?

Later

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just took my '02 in for the ball joint service last Saturday. I was told that this "recall" only applies to 4 wheel drive models. Anyone else hear this? If that's true, I'm not sure why DC would send me a notice since I have a 2 wheel drive truck.
Anyway, the main reason I took it in is that I've been hearing a "clunking" noise from the front end for a while. This particular dealer has looked at the truck before for this problem and couldn't find a cause. Nothing's changed - they stuill can't find a problem and they tell me the ball joints are OK.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
cstall said:
I just took my '02 in for the ball joint service last Saturday. I was told that this "recall" only applies to 4 wheel drive models. Anyone else hear this? If that's true, I'm not sure why DC would send me a notice since I have a 2 wheel drive truck.
Anyway, the main reason I took it in is that I've been hearing a "clunking" noise from the front end for a while. This particular dealer has looked at the truck before for this problem and couldn't find a cause. Nothing's changed - they stuill can't find a problem and they tell me the ball joints are OK.

I am sure if you look on your letter. it states your ball joints I believe the uppers only has an extended warranty of 10 years 100,000 miles. only the 4x4 models are being replaced asap. so I would take it to another dealership and see if they can find aproblem. I know with my wifes malibu. the car would cut off at times. took it to where we bought the car and after 4 times taking it back and them telling us they could find nothing wrong. and told my wife she didnt know how to start a fuel injected car. I took it to another dealership and before I got home they already called and said they think it was the fuel filter. I told them to replace it and havent had a problem with the car yet for stalling. that has been 3 years ago. so if you think your dealership service dept. is not up to par. then take it to another. its like any garage you have shady ones and great ones. just have to find the good ones :banana2:

·
Registered
651 Posts
On my 04

I took my 04 4x4 to a Pep Boys that I trust recenty because I was hearing popping and clunking in really tight turns and I thought I got the one 04 with bad bjs. They put it up on the lift, took me out and showed me that when I was coming close to full lock the hub was coming in direct contact with the A-arm and that's what was causing the noise. There was no worn parts, but they said they had never seen a vehicle before without some sort of bump stop to keep that from happening and they thought that was a bit strange.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know what years are involved in the recall, and/or have a link to the recall notice?

My g/f has a '97 that was purchased on the West Coast. She's moved a number of times since, so I don't think the recall notice got to her.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had the upper and lower ball joints replaced on both sides on my 02 Dakota RT (39,000 miles) back in July. Took it to the dealer because of the noise in the front end. I have the extended warranty so I paid the $100 deductible byt they also replaced the radio (RAZ model), rear sway bar bushings and the drivers side power window. Thought I was going to had to resurface or replace the rotors because due to the throbbing in the brake pedal when I stopped. Well, that went away with the new ball joints.

Also got charged $100 for an alignment. The letter from DM says they are extending the warranty on the 2WD models but if you've paid for replacemnet send them the invoices. I sent them a letter with the dealer invoice and said I was OK with paying the deductible since I had other work done but felt I should be reimbursed for the alignment. Received a check for $102 about a month later. :clap2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone have details on the recall? Years? Models? etc...

I have a helluva lotta noise comming from the front, like a rattling when i hit bumps(big or small, it doesn't matter)

·
Registered
504 Posts
The recall affects four-wheel drive vehicles from the 2000-2003 model years.

DaimlerChrysler also is extending the warranty to 10 years or 100,000 miles on the suspension upper ball joints on an additional 400,000 Durango front-wheel sport utility vehicles and Dakota front-wheel pickups from model years 2000 to 2003.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2002 SXT 2wd and the dealer fixed my ball joints for free... but shortly after the front end started popping again, so I took it back (I had both ball joints replaced). The dealer charged me $44 labor for looking at them ?? and told me that they couldn't re-create the problem. As I was pulling out of the dealership, my front end popped again. Don't know what they were thinking... lol not that hard to get in and turn the effing steering wheel.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2000 Quad Cab 4x4 w/ 88k (blown, by the way) was at D-C for a diagnosis on the motor, at the same time, had ball joints/seat belt bolts (both recalled) changed at no charge. Nothing was mentioned to me about having front end aligned. Good luck!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to swerve off topic, but when you go into the dealer to get things replaced and the dealer has to replace lets say the window, calipers and some other things, do you pay 100 deductable for each item or for the whole thing?

--Stefan

never had a warranty before :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dakota Buddy 02 said:
I have a 2002 SXT 2wd and the dealer fixed my ball joints for free... but shortly after the front end started popping again, so I took it back (I had both ball joints replaced). The dealer charged me $44 labor for looking at them ?? and told me that they couldn't re-create the problem. As I was pulling out of the dealership, my front end popped again. Don't know what they were thinking... lol not that hard to get in and turn the effing steering wheel.

My 03 Dak 4x2 has 23,000 miles on it and it's popping. It's popped since it was brand new. I'm also getting that initial popping in the steering when I accelerate from a stop. Maybe I'll take it back again and see if I can get a freebie.

·
Registered
504 Posts
05Dakota said:
Sorry to swerve off topic, but when you go into the dealer to get things replaced and the dealer has to replace lets say the window, calipers and some other things, do you pay 100 deductable for each item or for the whole thing?

--Stefan

never had a warranty before :)
I never heard of having a deductible before on a car warranty unless it’s an extended warranty. You need to read the contract because each one is different.

Just had my ball joints replaced on my 03 Dak R/T a month ago. Had it into the dealer for a noise in the steering column and they found the bad ball joints and replaced them for free. I still have the darn noise and will have to take it back again.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The recall affects four-wheel drive vehicles from the 2000-2003 model years.

DaimlerChrysler also is extending the warranty to 10 years or 100,000 miles on the suspension upper ball joints on an additional 400,000 Durango front-wheel sport utility vehicles and Dakota front-wheel pickups from model years 2000 to 2003.
Do you have a source for this information?

I've a 2003 Durango that Dodge is saying isn't on the recall list...

Yeah I know this is old

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2003 was covered to 100,000 miles. Call one of the service tech's at the dealership and have them check for you. They will need your last 8 digits of the VIN number.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts