Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Dodge dakota with 4.7

I had to use 4wd quite a bit this week due to 2 major snow storms that hit. I am now getting a squeeling while in 4wd coming from the front output of the T case. I cant really tell if its right at the u joint or the output. It sounds exactly like when the indicators on the disk brakes go bad but thats def. not it. I hear it faintly while in 2wd but not anything like when its in 4wd. Any ideas on whats going on here? Also when I stuck it in 4wd the other day it actually kicked itself back out into 2wd while I was slowly driving. I just took for granted that I didnt have it engaged all the way.

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
when was the last time you changed your fluid in your diffs or tcase?

does it make noise all the time? on turns, under throttle, in reverse,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
havent changed them since I owned it which has been about 10,000 miles.

How much of a pain is the T case to change?

It does it when ever when ever the truck is moving under throttle or not.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Try pulling the front drive shaft, see if the noise goes away. Front shaft has been common lately...

If the noise stays, obviously it's the t-case.

·
Registered
546 Posts
take out the t-case fill plug and stick your finger in to feel for the fluid level (the higher one, the lower one is the drain plug). if you can't tell or there isn't much on your finger after I bet it leaked itself dry. If that's the case I would pull the drain plug to se if much comes out. it should have about 2 quarts in it.

It takes ATF+4 fluid. you can't just pour it in though, because there is no room for the bottle. I used some small tubing and siphoned it from the bottle into the t-case. fill it until it starts coming out the fill hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts