Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have no check engine light. I have replaced the throttle position sensor and idle air control valve and cleaned the valve body, replaced gaskets and just replaced thermostat for a different reason.

The idle is high (1000 rpm) and searches ever so slightly 50 rpm up n down. It was worse but the things I replaced helped a little.
Every now and then I barely tap the gas and the engine skyrockets to 3000. It then comes back down, but weird. Like it drops down in 500 rpm increments.

I'm thinking maybe the map sensor is bad, but it has voltage. I used a scanner to look at the live data and it was constantly changing. 17 kpa ~7.9kpa or maybe it was hg don't remember right now.

I was wandering if anyone knows what it is supposed to be and should it stay at one reading rock steady or be constantly changing?

The map, oxygen and IAT sensors are all that's left to change I think. I don't think the IAT is a problem, but the other ones start getting pricey.

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
Usually when a MAP sensor goes bad the engine starts to run extremely rich and run poorly.

This is the best way to test the sensor itself:

I tested mine with the engine running since I didn't have a vacuum pump handy. The pump is better for obvious reasons. The Dodge ones don't back probe as easily as GM, I used jumper leads to connect between the plug and sensor on mine.

And this one just because I had it opened:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had similar issue with my 2000 Durango 5.9 and thru blind luck found post that could be the MAP causing problem and crappy 11mpg fuel economy. Found a aftermarket new map on e-bay for $14.00 and installed it. Result immediate increased power and the real time MPG shot up to 17 mpg! Another result was more vacuum to the system allowing the A/C heater vents to operate properly for the first time I have good ac and heater blower performance. After install you will experience high idle speed that means will need to reset the Power Train Control Module (PCM). Reset as follows. Disconnect blk battery Cable. turn ignition key to start and hold for 30seconds than turn off. Reconnect blk batt. cable. Star car and let run 15 seconds than turn off. I have been told need to continue to drive and go thru 12 start and off cycles and 48 miles to fully allow the PCM to learn and hold the settings. Good Luck! Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts