Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 Durango, 5.2, 44re, stock, 58k miles

When i first start the truck after its been sitting for a long period of time, the 2-3 has a HUGE hesitation to it. It almost feels like the tranny shifts into nuetral (i think it may actually, doesnt feel like slipping tranny) and will rev up. It then will shift into 3rd when it wants to.

This problem occurs for the first one or two 2-3 shifts when cold. After that all shifts are crisp and fast.

Another problem (maybe related, maybe not) Cruise control on the highway, any speed. The car will have a constant RPM and constant speed. Then randomly the RPMs will jump up and down a few hundred RPM and re settle. Few seconds, maybe minutes depending on the mood of the car, and it will do it again.

Ive read the rpm surge can be TPS related, can you see this type of TPS failure on a scope/scanner? Could this also cause the odd shifting issue?

Thoughs? Thank you

·
Registered
140 Posts
tps is cheap i'd say spend the 25$ even if its not broke but may be old...

have u checked ur fluid level?...last time a filter change done?...check the basics...most trans shops diagnos for free...

·
Registered
52 Posts
This sounds just like my 97dak, it's a 3.9auto. I just noticed it, but it seems to be ok once its warmed up. The RPM's go up like 200 between shifts, then it goes into the next gear. I think I'm going to try and replace the TPS. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
atljar- Not sure if you got your trans problem worked out, but mine is getting rebuilt next week. :cussing: The guy doing the work thinks its because of the seals. I guess they just get hard, and eventually won't seal properly. Thats why when the truck warms up a little everything seems to shift ok. Atleast thats how he explained it to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.