Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get on it sometimes I will hear a popping through the throttle body. The truck runs great other then that. Any ideas?

·
I rage, therefore I am.
80 Posts
Do you notice the truck bucking when you hear this? If so, I'd start with either detonation, or ignition timing.

Are you using the recommended octane gas?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck will lay down for a split second then recover but only after I let off of it. Would a colder plug help or do I need to use a Jet chip or Hypertec to adjust the timing?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have installed the MI but it has been on for a while. I had some troubles with it at first but I had it port matched to the heads and it ran great after that.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
i would say your timing is off...maybe you put the distributor in wrong when you installed the m1.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well another common problem after installing the M-1 is the backfire through the TB. You can go to the dealer and have them check your fuel sync. Should be around 0 or +1. Another way to help is to run a dedicated line to the map sensor off the M-1. You will need to pull the elbow off the underside of your TB and put a cap on the barb going into the TB. Then run a line directly to the map sensor itself off the M-1.

Shawn

·
Registered
42 Posts
"i would say your timing is off...maybe you put the distributor in wrong when you installed the m1."

The distributor doesn't have to be removed to install the M-1. So I don't know if it was taken out for another reason. But timing is pretty easy to check too. So might be worth a shot for peace of mind.

Shawn

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never pulled the dist out for the install. The problem started long after the MI was put in. Could it be the throttle position sensor?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, as much as I hate pulling up an old thread, my 99 Durango Slt 5.9 is suffering from this same problem. Mine is all stock. It started backfiring a couple months ago, and has slowly gotten worse. I replaced the dist cap and rotor and have replaced the plenum gasket. It got new 3923 plugs about 8000 miles ago. My next step is going to be a leak down test and new plugs and wires. Just wondering if you found a resolution for your problem?
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts