Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know where the switch is located that makes the back up lights work? Mine have went out the bulbs are good no pwer at the plug Thanks. Yeah I did a search on here no luck.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
What engeine/trans? It is likely the park/neutral/safety switch. On the 5.9/5.2 it is on the drivers side of the trans just above the pan. You need a 1" deep socket to get on it. On the 4.7 it is internal and I do not know for the 3.9.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does your plug show burn marks? Mine did that and what happened it melted the metal contacts into the plastic, but you couldnt tell but you have to do is melt some sotter into it and it works great

·
USMC
3,174 Posts
i have the same problem for like 5 months now. i dont worry about it to much cause i have some back up lights wired up to a switch that a use, but ill have to check the p/n/s switch out.

thanks

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Same here, and it is the neutral/park backup light switch on the trans casing. However, I could not get the old on off. It requires a very stubby 23mm wrench. No way are you getting a socket or anything close to it on there. There is no clearance and no room to work......i still have the switch from dodge and just have not taken it into a shop yet to pay the $40 to have them put it in.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I used a deep socket to take mine off.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I used a deep socket to take mine off.

Do you have the 5.2L with the 44re trans? If so, could you tell me exactly what tools you used to get this switch off? Did you have to take anything else apart to do it? I just ordered a remanned valve body and saw that the this switch needs to be out of the trans case to put the valve body back in, and I assume take out. I tried for quite a while but could not fit anything in there to get leverage, and all my wrenches were to long. I even went and bought a few different kinds of wrenches an nothing worked. If you didnt mind, even a pic if you could would really help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have the 46 and maybe it is mounted differently. Mine is on the drivers side of the trans right above the pan. It's on an angle (forget which way it's pointed, towards the front or rear). If I remember correctly there is no way I could get an open end or box end on the connector. As i said above, a deep socket fit over the sensor down to the hex. I believe it was a 1". Nothing else came off.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I just went and picked up another used 1" deep socket, as thin walled as I could find. If i remember correctly there was not enough clearance to get a socket around it though, or maybe the one i tried was to thick. Anyways got the grinder so I guess I will just have to make it a "very" thin walled socket if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Yah there was not enough clearance for the socket between the switch and transmission casing. I grinded the end of that socket to make it an extremely thin walled socket and it fits like a glove now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts