Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, baby's on the way and it's time to get rid of the daily driver s-10 for something a little bigger. I have decided on a gen 4 or 5 dakota as i already have a gen 3 for a toy.

Do you guys think a club cab would have enough interior space for a car seat in the rear? Or should I go for the quad cab? I would prefer a club cab if there is enough room.

Also what should I look out for while searching for the truck? I am very familiar with the gen 3's but the new ones seem to be night and day. The goal is to find one with a v6 / 6 speed
Thanks,

·
Let it SNOW!
4,152 Posts
I am sure you will hear replies from tons of peoplesaying that they fit a car seat in their truck just fine.

I can also assure you that nobody "chooses" to put a car seat in the back of the CC, it's more of a necessity. When you put a car seat back there, it sits pretty damn close to the back of the front seat. In a catastrophe, the car seat's physical space would be compromised. If you're putting a baby in it, you'll probably want something a tad more roomy and safer. Not to mention you'll have to buckle/unbuckle the child and/or carseat, and how much will you enjoy it? What about when your kid gets a little older? Kid(s) climbing in and out? A full back door might come in very handy. As long as you're dropping the loot for it, might as well ensure you get the best practicality and usability as you can for the longest amount of time.

B

·
0 Posts
Congrats on the new addition! :mullet:

A CC is hard enough to just get in and out of let alone trying to get get a car seat and new baby in and out. I'd recommend a QC instead of the CC because baby's don't stay little forever you know. You'll thank yourself later. :D

·
Let it SNOW!
4,152 Posts

A CC is hard enough to just get in and out of let alone trying to get get a car seat and new baby in and out. I'd recommend a QC instead of the CC because baby's don't stay little forever you know. You'll thank yourself later. :D
:wave: For once, I agree with this guy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if u will use it alot get the quad cab. :nana: i have 3 car seats in the back of mine

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I would also recommend the quad cab...............a club cab would be a royal PIA to deal with putting in a car seat.

Also like previously stated, kids grow up - my son is 15 and my daughter is 12 - they have yet to complain about space in my QC......

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, Looks like I'm in the market for a quad cab. Are there any issues I should look for while shopping for a gen 4? Am I right to assume that the v6 would be too underpowered for the QC?

·
Registered
128 Posts
milage sux. front brakes sux. and after driving a v-8, a v-6 would realy sux.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My DD is a 4 banger 5-speed extended cad s-10, so a v6 QC would probobally feel powerful to me.

My toy is a 2001 RC 3.9L dakota with a fair amount of bolt-ons and it feels like I'm breaking the sound barrier when I switch over to the dakota from driving the s-10. How would a 3.7L QC gen4 compare to a 3.9L RC gen3 in terms of power?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
congrats man.

id go for the QC... i have a 2nd gen CC and the back seat's are a joke. pretty sure it hasnt changed through the newer generations. take a back seat from a mustang and divide the leg room in half.

what year is your s10?
i have an 85 RC

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a 2000 xtreme. It looks great and gets awesome mileage but is slower than a ball rolling uphill against the wind!!

I actually really like the truck, but its way too small for my needs now.

·
Simple is Custom
126 Posts
Definitely get the QC...You will thank yourself later!! I have a 2.5 month old daughter and my jaw dropped when I saw how much room that stupid seat takes up! (Gen III QC by the way). I'm 6' 1" and I have to put the car seat in the center just so I can drive comfortably. It's safer for them to be in the center any way.

The only way you'll be able to tell about power is to drive one of each. It's personal preference. I have a 4.7 with a 5 speed manual and wouldn't trade it for the world. But if I would have to get a newer Dak and couldn't get a stick behind the V8, I would probably opt for the V6. Just because I love shifting gears.:drive:

Sorry for rambling, but just giving you my $0.02:blahblah:
Good luck on your search:rockwoot:

I almost forgot...CONGRATS!!!
Do you know the sex or are you gonna be surprised!!

B

·
0 Posts
Again, congrats on the new addition, but answer me this one if you can.

Why is it when your wife gets pregnant, all her friends rub her belly and say,"Congratulations," but nobody rubs your pecker and says, "Good job?" :huh: :jester:

·
Simple is Custom
126 Posts

Why is it when your wife gets pregnant, all her friends rub her belly and say,"Congratulations," but nobody rubs your pecker and says, "Good job?" :huh: :jester:
:rotflmao:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It's a 2000 xtreme. It looks great and gets awesome mileage but is slower than a ball rolling uphill against the wind!!

I actually really like the truck, but its way too small for my needs now.
i hear ya man. my dime is slower than than the rust on the frame. lol extremes are really nice. they look killer lowered or slammed. but in no way a family vehicle. extremes are a sexy truck. my s10 is just one of the old square bodies. nothin special on it at all cept its a long bed. dont see many people do custom jobs on em like i want to do.

post COMPLETELY off topic. ill stop now. :wave:

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts

:jester:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

:clap2: That is one great question!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

congrats man.

id go for the QC... i have a 2nd gen CC and the back seat's are a joke. pretty sure it hasnt changed through the newer generations. take a back seat from a mustang and divide the leg room in half.

what year is your s10?
i have an 85 RC
Definitely get the QC...You will thank yourself later!! I have a 2.5 month old daughter and my jaw dropped when I saw how much room that stupid seat takes up! (Gen III QC by the way). I'm 6' 1" and I have to put the car seat in the center just so I can drive comfortably. It's safer for them to be in the center any way.

The only way you'll be able to tell about power is to drive one of each. It's personal preference. I have a 4.7 with a 5 speed manual and wouldn't trade it for the world. But if I would have to get a newer Dak and couldn't get a stick behind the V8, I would probably opt for the V6. Just because I love shifting gears.:drive:

Sorry for rambling, but just giving you my $0.02:blahblah:
Good luck on your search:rockwoot:

I almost forgot...CONGRATS!!!
Do you know the sex or are you gonna be surprised!!
Thanks Guys!

The pregnancy was completely unexpected! We were married in July and both of our families kept asking us when the babies were going to come. My response was " I'm not having kids til I turn 30!" The goal was missed by 6 yrs. We were both freaked out at first, but after the reality has sat in I am starting to get excited about it.

We just had our first ultrasound on Monday and the doc says she is 12 weeks along. They also said that they think it's a boy although it could just have swollen girl parts. I'm hoping for a boy, but i will be happy either way as long as it comes out healthy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts