Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about this pump for sucking out the gear oil instead of taking the cover off?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I found others for relatively the same price but this one is the most powerful of the bunch - 11 gallons/minute versus .5 gallons/minute for 12V pumps. Is there such a thing as "too powerful" as far as the gears and other hardware in there are concerned?

·
Juice Junky
2,086 Posts
It will work but I doubt it will get everything out. You're better off taking the cover completely off and cleaning out all of the gunk. This way you can also check the magnet at the bottom of the pumpkin for shavings. If there are a lot, you may have a diff problem.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Theres no better way than pulling the cover to check for wear, but I always change mine out if I submerge my diffs. It doesnt take much to pull the fluid out, all I use is a big syringe looking pump and a clear 3/8 rubber hose, then dump it through a filter to look for metal. A pump out and refill is all we had to do at jiffy lube for a "diff service" lol.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually had the cover off about a month ago. The only reason why I want to drain the fluid again is because when I did it last month, the car was parked on a slant and I dont think I got all of the old fluid out, so I'm thinking of parking on a slant again (just the other way around) and sucking the fluid out with a pump. I believe the hose should be able to go all the way to the bottom.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you think this pump is overkill? any chance of damaging anything in there? this thing sounds pretty dam powerful.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think 11 gallons a min is a bit much, but .5 gallon a min might be worthless. If it were me Id get the bigger one just because you can do more with it and if you only do you diffs once or twice it wouldnt be a waste. The ones we had at jiffy lube were pretty strong (I cant remember what they were it was 10 years ago), And I dont see what damage a rubber (with no end fitting) hose could do there shouldnt be anything in there to suck up but oil. Just stick the hose in and ride the cover down till you hit the bottom and turn the pump on.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
do you think this pump is overkill?
I agree. There is only about 2 quarts of oil in the pumpkin. The 11 gallon/minute pump would suck all that out in a very short time. You could end up damaging the pump by sucking up more air then oil. Just buy a hand pump from your local auto parts store for a couple bucks. I have one, works like a charm. Doesn't take that long to suck it out. However, I agree with the other posters that removing the cover is the proper method. You could pump out the oil first and then pull the cover for a little less mess, but either way, you should remove the cover. At a minimum to clean the magnet at the bottom of the pumpkin, especially if you have a Limited Slip Differential. Good luck...

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Holy shit man! Go to Wally World and pay $8 for a hand pump. The red one. They work good and you don't need the power to use them anywhere, anytime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts