Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 dakota 2wd and im planing to SAS it. I have found a 1976 dana 44 with disks for $100 supposedly good condition. It is a model from a bronco tho. I looked up the length and it says 58" would this be to short of a axle to run under the dakota? I read that the dakota has a 63" wide front axle would I end up with major problems if i ran this axle?

Thank you for your time

·
ಠ_ಠ ლ(ಠ益ಠ&#
1,562 Posts
From what I hear bronco axles are ideal if you want to keep it close to stock width. Im not sure about the measurments. but for 100$ you almost cant beat the price.

·
pup-pup
35 Posts
ive been looking around and now im also wondering the same question.
just take alot of measurments
and are you going to run leafs or springs?
what size tires?
and how high are you lookin to lift it if any?
how much flex are you shootin for?
and are you into wheelin on rocks mud sand or snow?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think i am gonna pick it up anyway. Its pretty cheap.
Im planning on running coils doing either a radius arm or a 3 link. Im going to try and keep it as low as possible while getting reasonable travel/ flex. I don't really do any hardcore offroading since I have never owned my own, but usually I play around on mountain trails, nothing to serious and I have no plans to mud bog. Tires... im not sure I think as of right now the biggest i would want would be 35"s maybe even as small as 33"s im not looking for a killer 4x4 setup but just something that is capable.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I plan on using a d44 out of a 78 bronco, on coils and radius arms, just as soon as my buddy kills the motor and the dak is paid off. You will have to either change the rear, or run different rims, or adapters. My plan was to just play with the backspacing on the rims, until the ford rear off the bronco is done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I think I have found another axle about 2 hours from me. This is suprising cause i have been watching most classifieds in my area and havnt found shit until now lol. I found a 79 f250 8 lug disk brake dana 44 high pinion reverse spiral with 1/2" axle tubes! oh and 4.09 ratio which will match my rear diff until I upgrade it. Might be a little long but i have also been reading up on shortening them. I found this for $300 sound like a good deal?

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Good find on the 79, you wouldn't have been able to use the 76 axle anyway so don't sweat that one. The Early Broncos are WAY too narrow to use their axles in our trucks, the 78-79 Broncos have axles that are perfect for a SAS on a Dakota. Those axles also measure 65" wide just like the stock Dak axles do, that 3/4 ton axle is the same thing just setup for leaf springs and has 8 lug outers with dual piston calipers on the brakes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just what i wanted to hear kotakid. I really hope I end up with that axle now. what axle did you use for your SAS? I notice your fronts stick out pretty far, is that because the size of the axle you chose or due to rim/tire selection?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey man,here's a link to some d44 info.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm
Yeah thanks i have been reading up on that site. Lots of good info

shortening an axle is easy. But you will need new shafts. Some people prefer to hack just the long side down 4" or so (f-250 will probably be 69wms) And this will move the diff in 2" to the left from the oem.
I was also reading about shortening it 6" and being able to use a after market shaft for the early broncos.

Not really sure yet on what i plan, im going to pick up the axle tomorrow so we shall see what happens.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Just what i wanted to hear kotakid. I really hope I end up with that axle now. what axle did you use for your SAS? I notice your fronts stick out pretty far, is that because the size of the axle you chose or due to rim/tire selection?
79 Bronco D44hp and 9" rear, the wheels are 10" wide and only have like 2.5-3" of backspacing which is why they stick out considerably more then the stock ones did. I went with those axles cause I have had 1 79 F-150 and still have 2 Broncos now (79 and 86) and love the coil sping/radius arm setup on the Ford 1/2 tons and also cause I still had spare parts left over from the F-150 and Broncos. Leaf springs would have been cheaper/simpler, but coil spings or coil overs with some type of link setup or radius arm setup will flex better and won't wrap up at all like a budget minded leaf setup. You can get some pretty trick leafs and shackles that will flex just as good as a link/radius arm setup, but they still wrap up big time on trails. If I had the money I would have linked the back end up also and thrown the leaves in the scrap pile, as it stands now I'm gonna have to run some type of traction bar or ladder bar to keep my rear end from wrapping up like a pretzel first real bind I put it in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool. I was thinking about doing a 3 link or radius arm but in all reality, i'm broke and it will be much simpler to get some leafs.

But i did pick up that axle. Those brakes are huge! The brakes on my dakota suck so ill have quite a few things to look forward too once its complete

Some pics of the axle are in my other thread.
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2340199#post2340199

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nice axle

Make sure you do the math, and see if you need to upgrade your Brake MC.
Shape looks good, now to find out if it needs a refresh or rebuild.
Make sure you get Spicer seals, u-joints.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts