Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 Durango R/T with all the factory options, and the usual upgrades. While making a left turn today, I noticed a bad wheel hop, then a noise that sounded like the front end was being torn from the vehicle. I actually felt the front end move. Has anyone had something like this happen, or heard of it happening? Any idea what it may be? :help:

·
Registered
498 Posts
From the sounds of it, maybe it was locked in 4 high.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although it wasn't in 4x4, that's exactly what it felt like. I thought about the linkage, but that just sound expensive. The ball joints were replaced last year. Is it possible they could be the problem? I've checked the fluids, bolts, linkage, and looked for any signs....nothing. I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hard one to say, just my description. Does it do it all the time since that time? Only when you're turning? Just turning left or also right? I agree with others on checking the CV.. Let me know little more, see if we can help little more. Good Luck, A.J.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To elaborate a little, it only did it once. But it feels tight when I run the wheels end to end. Doesn't matter which way you turn, it feels as if it's binding up before it hits the stops. I'll take a look at the cv joints in the morning. Thank you all for the suggestions, this is my first Dodge, so I have a lot to learn. Merry Christmas to everyone!

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 98 has the psuedo-manual transfer case with 2hi/4wd/awd/4lo. To shift from awd to 2wd, the lever passes through 4wd and seems to get stuck there even though the lever is in 2wd. You can obviously tell it's in 4wd by the bucking it will do when turning on dry pavement. Put er in "R" and go back about 3 revolutions and it'll slip into 2wd. Good to go. At least that's what it was doing early in the (ski) season. Seems to have gone away for now.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This may be an old post but I just had to put my 2 cents in.

My 2000 R/T will sometimes do the same thing it sounds like, but only if I have been driving it hard around a tight corner.
The rear limited slip will lock in and it tries to push the front tires like I'm running a full locker. It will then go away after driving a ways when not under power. Apparantly once the limited slip disengages.
So what I am trying to say is that it is possible that it is normal if your truck has the limited slip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.