Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Schaw Flapping Pus
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
AWD durango???? or am i dumb

I have a 2000 rango with the 4.7L "Baby Hemi." i have plans in the future for a lift. i have found for the rack and pinion suspension lift a 4.5 to 6.5 lift kit from AIM in AZ. so i called Les schwab and see that they had. they have only a 3 inch from Rancho. He asked if it was rear wheel drive. Its a stupid thing to ask but i dont know if it is or if it is AWD, how can tell? i want to the be the first to have a lifted rango so i want to go big.... help me guys

· Banned
6,056 Posts
The 4wd selector for 97-00 is on the floor, 01+ is on the dash.

You have probably about a 99% chance of having regular 4wd. Your 4wd selector is the quickest way of telling.

BTW: AWD or regular 4wd doesn't matter, it's all the same layout, design, etc. The only difference is the transfercase. Also, don't EVER go with a lift from AIM. Worst company in lifts along with Whiplash.

· Registered
2,398 Posts
You said he asked if it was rear wheel drive. All he ment was it 2wd (rear wheel drive) or 4x4. The 2wd front suspension is very different from the 4x4.

· Registered
375 Posts
More than likely they got the 5.5" lift from whiplash or tough country or something like that. (garbage from what i've read) They only had them for the 98-99 durangos. 2000- on durangos, so far its only Rancho, that i know of. I have the same selector as you and mine, from top to bottom, 4Lo,N,2wd,4Hi . Double check yours to see if you got the 2wd after the N.

· Registered
375 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
BTW: AWD or regular 4wd doesn't matter, it's all the same layout, design, etc. The only difference is the transfercase.
Well, whatever you're selector says, either way you got 4wd or AWD. As far as i know, require same lift. 2WD suspension and lift is totally different.

· Registered
268 Posts
I have the real manual shifter on my 98. The 2000's have a floor shifter also. in 2000 was the first year for AWD, and it was marked "4wd" on the shifter. If it's real 4wd, it will have 4hi, 4lo, N, and 2wd. In 2001, they got a switch on the dash and they renamed the full time 4wd to awd, which is less confusing.

· Registered
2,398 Posts
AWD is a generic term indicating the vehicle cannot be selected to full 2wd. AWD does not indicate how the AWD system functions. 2000 was the first year for "AWD" but Full Time 4wd was available 98-99 Durango. I don't know when it started on the Dak 98 or 99. Full time is functionaly the same as AWD (Dodge) the torque is a fixed split ratio through an unlocked center differental. Full time can be used on any road surface 24/7. Out of 104k on my Durango, mine has been in FT for 99% of the time.

· Registered
2,398 Posts
Why would it not be a good idea? Lots of people have the. There just are not many if any 2wd kits.

· Registered
250 Posts
project_dog said:
so i take it, its not a good idea to put a lift kit on the rango?
No, its just that the only reputable suspension lift for the durango is the Rancho 3" and I can not comment on the durability of it, I just know its the strongest/best for our vehicles. The most optimum lift is a SAS (Solid Axle Swap), my first setup was a D44/9" combo with 38" SX Super Swampers. The whiplash suspensions are a joke, there is a guy here locally running that lift on a black durango. I know the guys who installed it and even they said the kit itself is/was junk. Tuff Country lifts are the mediocre, for street queens there fine as long as you dont take speed bumps to fast :biggthump In my opinion I think Durango's are sharp when there lifted, I got tons of comments on my rig. Here's a poser shot of it after I $hitcanned the front driveshaft and t/case, of course now I've cut everything back out and I'm going bigger:

· Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
716 Posts
studlybilly said:
No, its just that the only reputable suspension lift for the durango is the Rancho 3" and I can not comment on the durability of it, I just know its the strongest/best for our vehicles. The most optimum lift is a SAS (Solid Axle Swap), my first setup was a D44/9" combo with 38" SX Super Swampers. The whiplash suspensions are a joke, there is a guy here locally running that lift on a black durango. I know the guys who installed it and even they said the kit itself is/was junk. Tuff Country lifts are the mediocre, for street queens there fine as long as you dont take speed bumps to fast :biggthump In my opinion I think Durango's are sharp when there lifted, I got tons of comments on my rig. Here's a poser shot of it after I $hitcanned the front driveshaft and t/case, of course now I've cut everything back out and I'm going bigger:

Dude everytime i see your Durango it just makes my day!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.