Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
pup-pup
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 dakota 5.2 magnum engine. currently auto transmission.
im lookin to put a manual behind it
i was wondering is it possible just to swap out the bellhousing on the front of the stock trans with the NV3500 or no.
ive been looking online all day and still running into dead ends...

but i did find a transmission id. guide.

http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tranny_guide/tranny_guide.html

let me know what you guys think.
right now any help would be great.

·
TKO'ed
1,591 Posts
The NV3500 bell housing is integral to the case. AX-15's have seperate bell housings.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It is integral with the NV3500. Just find an NV3500 with a DOdge bellhousing. It will bolt up to your 5.2. Need a 5.2 flexplate, not too expensive from a parts supplier if you go new. You will need to extend your driveshaft about 7 inches or so, but a machine shop should not have a problem with that. Or find one from a manual Dakota. Get your pedals from a manual and your slave cylinders and everything should be relatively simple. The wires are already in the cab for a manual, it is just a matter of switching some stuff to allow the clutch to activate the park/neautral ground.

·
pup-pup
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do the 92-96 rams have the same bolt pattern as the gen2 dakotas?
im thinking they do as some rams have the 318. magnum.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes, the bolt patterns will be the same between the magnum blocks. And in fact the bolt pattern will even remain the same between the magnum and older LA blocks, not that you want a tranny from one of those.

Personally, I think finding pedals may be the hardest part to track down.

Oh, and I will post up some pictures of the floor and how they cut it. It is just a hole cut out in your sheet metal for the stick to come through. Nothing fancy. If you can track down a manual Dakota to take the interior stuff from you should have a nice clean looking install.

·
pup-pup
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks il be doing some browsing at the boneyard and maybe i can find something reasonable
do a rebuild if needed. then snag some interior parts of a manual dakota.
gunna be a slow swap as low funds but will happen for sure
il post pics whenever i get progress done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts