Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bomb Technician.
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im either wanting to convert my truck to a 5 or 6spd manual or sell the truck for one thats manual.

would selling the truck and buying one thats a stick be the cheaper route?

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
probably so. i've never done it myself but every thread i've ever read on it, the labor is pretty extensive and its not cheap. i'd just find one with a stick already.

·
Resleeves rnaz's borings
9,536 Posts
what kinda dakota do you have?
I have a factory v8/5sp truck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Having owned both with the 4.7L I prefer the auto 45rfe over the nv3500. Both had 3:55 gears.

Have you driven one with the nv3500? It would light up the tires anytime in first or second, but fell on its face in third through fifth. The auto seems to have alot better gearing for passing at freeway speeds and is better for towing IMO.

That said I think it would be more cost effective to buy another truck with the manual trans.

·
Bomb Technician.
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what kinda dakota do you have?
I have a factory v8/5sp truck
mines reg cab 4x4 00 4.7 with the 45rfe.

ive always prefered a stick over an auto. I put a b&m ratchet shifter in my truck to give me a Faux stick feel but its still just not the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Buy one with a 5spd!

We did a auto to 5spd swap on a 89 d350 and it just nickled and dimed my dad to death. Finaly got it done but by the time it was all payed for, he could have just bought another 5spd truck.

·
Loud is NOT Fast
1,768 Posts
With older vehicles its a lot easier, but with later model/more modern vehicles it is usually better to sell/buy a new vehicle with trans you want. You could always swap in a better trans that what was stock also, like a T-56.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts