Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wanting to change my 99 dakota from a automatic tranny o a manual tranny but wouldn't know where to start other then get a manual tranny but what else would i need to change out and how would i install a clutch pedal:waiting::waiting::waiting::bump:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
IMO,if its not a R/T,or show truck,then i wouldn't bother with this swap.with as many dakotas' out there with a stick,i'd sell one truck and start a search for one with a stick.it will be,money wise,a much better choice.

·
hobby or addiction?
899 Posts
IMO,if its not a R/T,or show truck,then i wouldn't bother with this swap.with as many dakotas' out there with a stick,i'd sell one truck and start a search for one with a stick.it will be,money wise,a much better choice.
X2 you can find an affordable low mileage 5.2 5 speed truck. Cheaper in the long run.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
if you can get a trans cheap enough, go for it. if you know your truck and you got any kind of money in it, why start over? youll need the clutch pedal and mount, the slave cylinder and line, and i would assume there is gonna be some computer/wiring modifications needed so the truck doesnt still think there's an auto in there. if you just leave stuff unplugged, you'll be throwin all kinds of codes.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
if you can get a trans cheap enough, go for it. if you know your truck and you got any kind of money in it, why start over? youll need the clutch pedal and mount, the slave cylinder and line, and i would assume there is gonna be some computer/wiring modifications needed so the truck doesnt still think there's an auto in there. if you just leave stuff unplugged, you'll be throwin all kinds of codes.
you are on the right track.....if you shop smart you can do alot and save alot.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
if you can find a CHEAP stick parts truck then it MIGHT be worth doing.

·
lost in translation
4,032 Posts
one of your best bets would be too try and find a parts truck that already has the pcm,pedal assembly,tranny,and column cover..or you cld always start over and buy one thats already a manual and build on that foundation.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
one of your best bets would be too try and find a parts truck that already has the pcm,pedal assembly,tranny,and column cover..or you cld always start over and buy one thats already a manual and build on that foundation.

go from auto to manual, then take th emanual truck and make it an auto then sell it. That way you can recoup some of your money.

·
Registered Abuser
1,514 Posts
go from auto to manual, then take th emanual truck and make it an auto then sell it. That way you can recoup some of your money.
Why the hell swap them if your going to do that. Why not just sell the auto and save the time:hammer:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I dont see how it would be very expensive... I think I read of someone who converted to the M/T and left the sensors unplugged. Threw a cel but still ran fine. Grab a m/t comp, tranny, clutch, throwout bearing, pedal, slave cyl ,lines and you should be good to go. Shouldn't be that difficult, and if you have a salvage yard to grab parts from your laughing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts