Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my bumper installed and painted has became a complete nightmare! My bodyshop is telling me that my stock foglight bracketry will not line up and fit with my SS Gen II valance. I don't really know anything about bumpers but I thought this thing went right over the stock bumper and covered it up? How was this problem resolved with the allignment issue? I need some help quick! :help:

572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: I went to the bodyshop and they showed me in plain view that my sport valance and SS valance cover will NOT work together. Evidently the SS bumper cover is designed to fit over the original OEM bumper but only for the STANDARD model dakotas which was failed to be mentioned to me at the time of purchase at Streetbeatcustoms.com. The SS rep told me that the bumper cover was made to give the "standard" model dakota and "aftermarket look" and she stated that the Sport and RT models were already equipped with that look from the factory. I was thinking ot myself....BULLSHIT!
Can anyone with a SS Gen II cover tell me how you got the damn cover put on successfully? What problems did you encounter?

572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What? Am I the only person that owns this damn cover? Help from someone else would be really appreciated. I think SS is bullshitting me

572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
360 xrt said:
I don't mean to pry but if your getting a new bumper cover what's with the pictures of your truck with one on it already?
That's the photochop pic that made me decide to get one :biggthump

· 98 dakota sport
42 Posts
i do have that cover on my truck and it is the sport model. it lined up but need to be trimmed. It sounds like the body shop does not want to do the work or use there imagination to help you out. You either have to cut the three sloted ribs out of the lower grill or notch the three of them into the cover.It is easyer to cut the three but does not look as good in my opinion and the bull about the fog lights is a lie.

572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I even called street scene and this woman gave me a bunch of shit that the cover was only intended for the "standard model dakota" and does not include the sport model or the RT model because we have the aftermarket valance stock. I flat out told her that was bullshit!

572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you're saying my stock 4" fogs will fit along witht he bracketry if it's notched or cut?

· Registered
86 Posts
You are supposed to take the lower valance off and keep the upper bumper on. So the cover just slips on to the bumper and it fits perfect with the fog lights. Some dakotas come with lower valance and the upper bumper all in one peice as one whole cover. If yours is like that then I would just cut the lower part of the one peice just under the body line, and use the top peice to lay the SS bumper over. Good luck, hope it works out. "Where there's a will, there's a way"...."If there's no will, then there is just NO WAY!!!"

· Registered
2,398 Posts
There is no difference between the bumpers on the sport, R/T and standard models. The bumper did change from a two piece to a one piece. I know some one else who has the SS over the one piece. I did not think there were any issues. Search here for Durango Dude and e-mail him. If they are talking about the vertical bars, like said above the cover has to be notched or cut off the bars.

· 2000 6.7 R/T
204 Posts
i test fitted mine on my truck and it fit perfectly. I am keeping it on because i have no room. Waiting for other stuff to come in and all getting painted with the truck. Sounds like they dont know their ass from a hole in the ground

· 98 dakota sport
42 Posts
it should go right over both the only things in the way are the stock three vertical peices in the lower valance.
i left my hole bumper on and just went right over top i wanted the three bars to be there, have a look http://www.cardomain.com/ride/776009/2
i never touched the fogs the may need to be adjusted but i doubt it.
there is no such words as it cant be done in the auto world, so long as money and imagiantion are there!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.