Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used AT-205 Reseal for rejuvenating the rubber on boots and bushings? I've got a 2002 Dakota and want to keep all the rubber flexible and prevent it from cracking. Any other suggestions for maintaining these parts?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
383 Posts
I've never used the product, but really the only way to keep seals and other rubber parts flexible is to use them, exercise them, don't let them sit for an extended period of time. They take a set that is unforgiving once they sit and can leak or deform, crack, etc.

That said, the seals and rubber on your truck -- and mine -- are all approaching 20 years old and can be expected to fail. Never tested nor spec'd to live past 7 years or 150,000 miles. In fact in most cases, the manufacturers are perfectly happy just to have them outlive the warranty.

Reactions: johnjb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never used the product, but really the only way to keep seals and other rubber parts flexible is to use them, exercise them, don't let them sit for an extended period of time. They take a set that is unforgiving once they sit and can leak or deform, crack, etc.

That said, the seals and rubber on your truck -- and mine -- are all approaching 20 years old and can be expected to fail. Never tested nor spec'd to live past 7 years or 150,000 miles. In fact in most cases, the manufacturers are perfectly happy just to have them outlive the warranty.
Have you ever used silicone spray on boots/bushings? No more greasable fittings anymore. So, how is one to preserve our older vehicles?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
383 Posts
There is NO magic formula that prevents rubber degeneration. Period. You replace worn out parts.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
383 Posts
Are you really looking for a 3rd NO?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you really looking for a 3rd NO?
Man I sure am glad I don’t own a dodge/use this forum because you guys kinda sound like huge a**holes lol. You guys are so confident about your wrong answers 😂🤣

This product helps preserve rubber and make it withstand regular wear and tear better. No miracles performed, it won’t bring worn out rubber completely back to life, but if you put this stuff on one CV boot and ignored a separate boot- the treated CV boot will HANDS DOWN outlive the untreated boot. Y’all make OP sound like they’re asking a dumb question when it’s pretty much on par with the purpose/intention of this product (and a lot of UV protective sprays too)🤦🏻‍♂️

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
383 Posts
Yeah sorry my response was harsh. But AT-205 reseal is not a surface treatment, it's a fluid additive, not for boots and bushings. And the OP was wanting to use it off-label. It's also not a UV protectant.

And it remains true that nothing fixes cracked or worn out exposed under chassis rubber parts.

And it's also true that those parts are not exposed to UV.

Many so-called rubber treatments are nothing more than mild acids (think Armor All) that put a nice clean shine on the surface but actually do nothing to protect the material.

Rubber and plastics all degrade over time and there is little that you can do to prevent it. There is a lot of snake oil out there with little benefit. Some products will make the surfaces look better but do not penetrate the material to any beneficial effect.

Show me a long term study that proves there is a beneficial effect, and I'll be the first to retract my words.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts