Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 99 RT which has been in an accident resulting in a busted leaf spring. I am just curious if there is any diffenence in the leafs from a regular dakota and mine. I didnt know if there is a difference in ride height or spring rate.
Thanks
Stevie

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah, there is a diffence. The R/T leafs are de-arched more than the stock Dakota's giving the R/T a one inch lower ride height. Just go ahead and order the Hotchkis TVS kit because you know you are going to want to lower it more and make it handle better in the end anyway! The TVS kit comes complete with rear leafs, front coil springs, front and rear sway bars, and new bump stops. All this amounts to a 2" drop in the front and 3" out back and will make your R/T handle like a Porsche. No, I'm not a vendor or work for them... I just want the kit so bad! To bad I'm broke! :help:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TVS system sounds killer, but I am not looking to drop that much money in the truck. I am hoping it will drive well enough to satisfy me as it will be used as a daily driver and for towing my camaro to and from the track.
I'll just be lookin for a correct spring for it....at least for now untill the mod bug bites me on this too.

S

·
0 Posts
lol, yeah thats what my original thought was too... but that lasted all of a week until I found this sight and since then I've been addicted.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
a327vette said:
The TVS system sounds killer, but I am not looking to drop that much money in the truck. I am hoping it will drive well enough to satisfy me as it will be used as a daily driver and for towing my camaro to and from the track.
I'll just be lookin for a correct spring for it....at least for now untill the mod bug bites me on this too.

it is not reccomended to tow anything that heavy with the R/T`s with the supsension we have on them.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
you want a towing truck you'll need to loose the R/T

Beside if you mod your R/T you can whoop your camero one day

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Get a standard set of leaf springs and lower it 1-2 inches. Beef up the rear frame, find a good class IV hitch and a weight distribution system. There's no reason that you can't increase the load capacity of an R/T.

S

·
0 Posts
N56629 said:
Get a standard set of leaf springs and lower it 1-2 inches. Beef up the rear frame, find a good class IV hitch and a weight distribution system. There's no reason that you can't increase the load capacity of an R/T.
I hadnt't even thought about that one. I've got a set of '02 SLT rear leafs (have maybe 6,000 miles on them, came off my truck when I put the full R/T suspension under it) that we might be able to work something out on if you want to take that route. Possibly you could get like the DJM 2" drop shackle and then install my stock dakota rear leafs. Give you an overall drop in the back of one inch from the R/T factory ride hieght. Then you might have the stock towing capacity back for an SLT. Not to mention your truck would be sitting almost level front to back with no rake if you go this route. Might look pretty good.

PS - I'll make you a hell of a deal on the rear leafs if you want them. Shipping is going to be a bitch on them though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i know you're not supposed to tow with the r/t really but i've seen several mopar guys towing their race cars with them. i mean i'm talking about towing 3000lb plus cars with a open air trailer. from what i can tell they didn't do anything with the springs either. i know there was that whole lawsuit thing when the r/ts came out cus originally they were advertised to tow like 6000plus but then chrysler decided that was a bad idea. so it can be done but i have no idea what kind of damage would/could occur.

S

·
0 Posts
I use mine to tow crap all the time. I've got a 16ft double axle trailer with 12,000 pound axles with brakes all the time. I pull just about anything that will fit on it. And I don't even have a reciever hitch... just using a ball in the old bumper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any idea how it would effect the handling by using slt springs with drop shackles instead of rt springs? I am curious about the spring rates of the two.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Spend the money once and get the TVS kit. It is amazing. I never believed the claims of out-handling porsches, till I installed it. OH MY GOD! was all I could say. It is worth it.

·
5 NINE DAK
148 Posts
if u gonna do the tvs drop kit, go to socaldakota.com, u can find it about a few hundred cheeper

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, shy of asking the question of Hotchkis, does anybody have a feel for what the installation of the TVS system does to towing capacity. The TVS system seems to be the same for R/T and non-R/T Dakotas, so does it increase the towing capacity of the R/T's or decrease the towing capacity of the others? I can't really think of what else might affect towing capacity of these trucks other than springs and hitches.

And what does N56629 mean by "beef up the rear frame"?

Yes, I tried a search, and the search is what got me here.

Thanx in advance.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts