Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know anyone (at least that i trust) that works on cars. If i were to spend $500 on headers id probibly have to spend $500 on labor (just a guess :smash: ) How much HP can you get from headers, also how hard are they to install. I have limited knowlege about engines so i probibly wouldn't do it myself unless i had some help. Assuming its easy which i doubt. Opinons please....

Has anyone heard of High Flow Heads??? My girlfriend recently bought a 99 GTP and their is a sticker on it that says High Flow heads... So i assume it has them but their really is no easy way to tell. at least that i know of... any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
I’m guessing that your driving a Dak with a V8. If so the headers are about 2 good days worth of work if you do them at home. The hard part is removing the connections at the Y-pipe. If their rusted they can be a bear.

HP increase is about 15 to 20 and expect to loose some torque. If you have not made any other modifications then I would hold off on the headers. There is a lot of other mods. that you can do that are far easier and lesser expensive and will provide you with the same or more HP.

Flow on heads is measured by the amount of air/fuel that can flow through the intake and exhaust ports. You open up these ports and polish them to increase the flow. You also port match the heads to the intake and the exhaust headers. The higher the flow the more air/fuel will enter the cylinders and more will exit through the exhaust ports.

The term high flow is rather general and I would ask to see the numbers and how they match up with stock heads before laying out any cash.

My two cents worth.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See once again exactly what i needed to hear. Thank you for your two sense it is greatly appreciated... I assume when you say all it is a two day job at home i get from you that you just bore out the exsisting header instead of buying new ones for 500 bucks?? and if so what would you use to complete this job? I really wouldn't want to screw up the headers.... Is it an easy job?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sonnic: Header install is not a two day job. All you need is a couple size sockets/wrenches, especially a 11mm deepwell socket if I remember right, and you can have your headers on is probably 6-8 hours for a novice. I will agree the worst part of the job is the collector. Only because its tough to get tools in there for the lack of space. Simply unbolt the manifolds and bolt up the headers. Not a science. No smog tubing to worry about, just manifolds. As far as price, I spent $325 for a set of Gibson Shortys. Love 'em. So get your tools together and jump in there. You will surprise yourself at how easy it is.......Good luck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sonnic, you might want to try to find some cool fellow dak owners in the area. I have had pretty good luck with getting help from fellow R/T owners on installs that I didn't feel ready to handle myself. The best thing about doing it yourself or with a friend is that you get to decide how good of an install it is.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, But headers are something you want to do after you have exhaust, TB's, and 180 stat.... right? That is about all i can handle at the moment. I really don't want to give up more accleration for top end. As i feel i am lacking a bit in that area now. Is their a way to boost off the line better??? other than the obvious (nitrous or SC) Thanks again guys you kick ass :evil:

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
Mod your stock kegger intake. Many people have reported better low end with a modded intake, and cheaper than an M1. You don't get the top end rush that the M1 has, and still have to deal with the plenum gasket. Still, it is a cheap thing to do. You can do it yourself if you have the time or tools. There is a guy that will do it for about $100 as well. At least I think that is what he charges. If you go that route I would say to get a hughes engines plenum kit as well. That will significantly reduce the potential for a future blown gasket.

You can also mod your existing TB if you feel up to it. Not as good as a Fastman or F&B, but you will still get better results than stock. If you go this route I would pick up a used TB from a junkyard and work on that. That way if you mess up your truck will still run, and you are only out $50 or so.

I think they made a Mopar PCM for the 97, but I am not sure. That would be a great upgrade, especially if you can find one used. New one will run $300 or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts