Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How common it it for the 4.7 to have a blown headgasket/ bracked head / or warped heads? I went to look at a 04 Dakota that had around 100k miles and the coolant reservior was low. Coolant level was at about 2" below the dipstick. The owner said that it has never overheated and I did not smell any antifreeze in the cabin from the heater core if that was leaking. Also did not see any leaks in the engine compartment or under the vehicle and the exhaust did not smell sweet. Is there any way to tell if it could have a head issue without pulling plugs or bringing it to a shop to see if there is any byproducts of combution in teh coolant? Thanks

·
SPOOOOON!
568 Posts
if they leak internally, you won't see anything or smell anything, just an empty reservoir every couple weeks. you have to get her hot, pressure test it, and look inside the cylinders to know for sure. seen a few of them.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
yeah you would have to do a compression and or leakdown test to know for sure if there are no obvious visual signs. it's easy for almost any engine to blow the gaskets with low coolant/high heat, but it doesn't seem to be an actual problem with the 4.7 as in it's not a heavy hitter or something that just tends to happen. it will though if you let it.

i would take a look at the water pump because those do seem to start to blow around 100-120k and that could be what's causing the leak. check for weeping.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Does it have a block heater in it? Check that too - mine had a slow drip that was hard to see until I crawled under the truck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I did not think it was an common problem and like I said, I did not see a leak anywhere in the engine compartment or under the vehicle. I figured the coolant had to go somewhere but could not figure out where. The owner said that he has never had a problem with it and he has never overheated it and I believe him because if he knew it was a problem he would have filled the resvior unless it just started. I am undecided if I should take the gamble and purchase it or hold out for another one. The problem is the one I am looking for is hard to come by. Quad Cab 4 wheel drive, manual tranny with power windows and doors. I have not seen very many of these around here.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just because the reservior is low doesn't mean there is a leak. It's not like the guy was filling it up every week and it was running out, and like you said if he knew it was leaking he would have had it filled when you came to look at it. I wouldn't call this taking a gamble by any means, but maybe that's just me. I would almost be more scared if I went to look at a car and all the fluids were fresh and right where they should be in it haha.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just because the reservior is low doesn't mean there is a leak. It's not like the guy was filling it up every week and it was running out, and like you said if he knew it was leaking he would have had it filled when you came to look at it. I wouldn't call this taking a gamble by any means, but maybe that's just me. I would almost be more scared if I went to look at a car and all the fluids were fresh and right where they should be in it haha.
Agreed.

·
Dakota w/ a Drinking Prob
131 Posts
Personally a few things i have seen and heard that could cause this is from A) hot coolant going into overflow bottle and the water evaporates B) small leaks where those hoses connect to the rad/engine if it has the worm/screw hose clamps leak just a little bit you can never really tell, it leaks when it gets hot and doesnt when cold.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My truck has 191k miles and no issues, runs fine...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys. The guy is not willing to come down on his listed price so I will have to pass and try to find another 4WD QC w/ a 5 speed manual

·
Registered
422 Posts
My local dealer has a 4wd quad with 4.7 5 spd in stock right now. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Better hurry, I think they have that truck sold this weekend!!!!

I'll sell you mine if the pirce is right...

It's a 2003 Quad 4x4 4.7 5 spd loaded and all original.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How common it it for the 4.7 to have a blown headgasket/ bracked head / or warped heads? I went to look at a 04 Dakota that had around 100k miles and the coolant reservior was low. Coolant level was at about 2" below the dipstick. The owner said that it has never overheated and I did not smell any antifreeze in the cabin from the heater core if that was leaking. Also did not see any leaks in the engine compartment or under the vehicle and the exhaust did not smell sweet. Is there any way to tell if it could have a head issue without pulling plugs or bringing it to a shop to see if there is any byproducts of combution in teh coolant? Thanks
Warped heads on a 4.7 are somewhat common. Mainly on the 4.7's in the heavier vehicals like the rams, especially when hauling or towing heavy loads. The engines get hot and start to warp the heads and it gets worse and worse. It doesn't seem to be nearly as big of a problem on the dakotas and jeeps tho. We mostly see rams and gen 4 durangos at our dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey
I’m working on a 2003 right now belongs to my mom and it leaks hydrocarbons into the cooling system but only when you drive it at hyways speed so yea it’s possible this rig is at 80 k miles but lots and lots of short trips like about two miles in town I haven’t disassembled it yet so I guess i
Will update y’all then if I find more than a leaky gasket

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey

I’m working on a 2003 right now belongs to my mom and it leaks hydrocarbons into the cooling system but only when you drive it at hyways speed so yea it’s possible this rig is at 80 k miles but lots and lots of short trips like about two miles in town I haven’t disassembled it yet so I guess i
Will update y’all then if I find more than a leaky gasket
Hopefully you can finally solve this mystery. OP's been waiting since 2010. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts