Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a line on a dana 35 ARB for a rear application. What are the chance this would fit in my font 35 IFS housing? the arb is for a non c Clip axle.

I looked at the the ARB application file, they don't list the durango.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The general consensus here has been that if you lock the front, you're going to put a massive amount of extra stress on an already weak front differential. Ours are cast aluminum and there's been quite a few people here grenade them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats too bad. i am more familiar with jeeps. the grand had the same issue with an aluminum rear diff.

i will skip it, although i don't really plan on wheeling it too hard.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
The general concensus isn't always 100% right though, with a selectable locker it would be exactly like it is stock on the road and normally, but when that extra little bit is needed flip the switch and you've got true 4wd (providing you have a locker in the rear too lol). I am also curious if this will physically fit, all strength issues aside, does anyone know if the carriers are interchangeable between the D35 rear axles and the IFS D35 front diff? Ring and pinions are interchangeable, bearing and setup kits are interchangeable minus the rear axle bearings of course, but I have no idea if the diff carrier is or not.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't think the street manners are the problem though. All that I've seen grenaded have been from putting the differential in off-camber situations, providing a shock (wheel hop during a hill climb), or just too much torque in Josh's case (Yellowdak2k I think). I would think that locking the differential would just make all of these situations even harder on the differential. Sure, with a selectable locker, you could just turn it off when you're flexing the front end or doing a hill climb or whatever, but then what's the point in having a locker? :huh:

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Being able to turn it off when you don't need it is exactly the point of a selectable locker lol, and I understand perfectly about the way most have broken their front diffs and can only tell you that 35x12.50s and a loose nut controlled 318 couldn't kill my D35 in spite of trying my hardest for 3yrs straight. An average truck doing more average wheeling would greatly benefit to having a selectable locker in the front, I had the front diff lincoln locked on my 92 Dak and it was far more capable then with it still open and that was just on some muddy wooded trails that I was going on with 31s.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i think a selectable locker for the front would be awesome...... i would love one on my durango just because every little bit helps when going over those rocks.... im already looking into getting a locker for the rear, but its going to take awhile, money is a little shy....

·
Registered
115 Posts
i dont mean to thread jack but did you ever have any luck selling your 99 kotakid i see your sig says its still for sale?

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
i dont mean to thread jack but did you ever have any luck selling your 99 kotakid i see your sig says its still for sale?
No, but I really haven't been advertising it that hard cause I don't want to sell it. The only reason its for sale is selling it would get me out of the financial hole I'm in, if I can ever find a new job I'd probably be alright and be able to actually get it back on the road.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't know if it will fit. i could not find the part number on the application guide. a dana 35 is a dana 35 case as far as I know. the ring and pinion and install kit were all the same.

i am going to skip it for now. the problem with a weak diff is the locker will allow you go farther than you probably should and then you have trouble regardless of the finesse you have behind the wheel. i am very delicate with my throttle foot but that doesn't always matter when you are pushing a 6700 lb rig with a healthy V8 under the hood.

i don't plan on hardcore wheeling this rig anyway so for now I will settle for the locked rear.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i don't know if it will fit. i could not find the part number on the application guide. a dana 35 is a dana 35 case as far as I know. the ring and pinion and install kit were all the same.

i am going to skip it for now. the problem with a weak diff is the locker will allow you go farther than you probably should and then you have trouble regardless of the finesse you have behind the wheel. i am very delicate with my throttle foot but that doesn't always matter when you are pushing a 6700 lb rig with a healthy V8 under the hood.

i don't plan on hardcore wheeling this rig anyway so for now I will settle for the locked rear.
The only other vehicle that i know of to run a 35 ifs was exploders, not sure about the rangers but i know they ran a 35 TTB in the earlier models. Keep the front end stock (unless you want to change gears), if your easy and pay attention i dont think you would have too many issues.. I ran awhile untouched, and in a split second, the cases split on a easy 2/3 33/rl rated trail. Only advice for d offroaders is bring the necessary tools to disconect the front driveshaft/axles. :banana2:

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
If I can get my hands on a carrier of any kind out of a D35 rear I'm gonna try fitting it into my old front end.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I forgot the years, pre-96, ran a steel d35 diff/tubes.. That'd be the way to go instead of hack/cut/blah blah 35.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts