Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an APC roll pan today, it should be delivered by Monday. Does anyone have one, and how do you like it? Did you feel like it was a quality product?

Also, what are you guys paying for paint jobs? The shop I want to you gave me and estimate of $500.00 for my front bumper, roll pan and grille frame. That's not including the price of parts.

· Speed Freak
135 Posts
I don't have the apc rollpan but 500 seems a bit steep to me bud. I had both sides of the hood, grill shell, bumper cover ,mirrors and wiper cowl painted for 700

· Registered
257 Posts
I bought a APC roll pan for the PT I had and it was terrible, I worked on it over 8 hours just to make it look good enough to put paint on it....you know what APC stands for when you ask us.... "A PIECE of CRAP! I buy my truck roll pans from Sir Micheals, there steel and damn nice, weld in or bolt on, you can get them either way, cost about $170.00 with shipping. I don't think that $500.00 is far off, maybe just a touch high but not real bad.

· Registered
257 Posts
Give me alittle more detail on what the shop is going to do, are they removing the front bumper and taking it apart, is the bumper "bar" rusted any? are you having them paint the front lower valance also (plastic piece bolted to the bottom of the bumper bar), are they removing the grille from the truck, are they going to install these parts after there painted? What do you mean by "not including the price of parts" do you mean the materials? "paint and such" If you could let me know, I tell you the labor times for this, I can run it on my estimating system here at work and tell you.....less any repair time.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Additional info...

For the front, they are going to prep the valance, it was suppose to arrive today. As for the front grille, I have a spot about half the size of a nickle where the paint is gone, so he's going to fix that spot. As for the roll pan, it will be delivered tomorrow, that will have to be sanded, and preped,as well as installed.

On my end, I plan to remove the broken valance, along with the grille, and the factory rear bumper and my trailer hitch which I will be getting rid of. I asked about me installing the parts, he was like that would only save me $50.00.

I'm not made of money, I have to work a second job just to be able to think of doing any work to my truck.

Part of me feels like $500 is fair, the problem I have is that I really don't have an itemized break down as to the cost of paint, the cost of labor and any other cost. I'm just going by the owners estimate. As I write about it, I'm starting to have second thoughts. :huh:

· Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I think it really depends on the quality of the shop you're getting the work done at. If it's a high-quality shop with lots of references and using some of the best paint materials it may be right on the money, but if it's more of a small budget shop then the price sounds a little high.

A bumper cover will cost $200-300 for prepping and paint, a roll pan can cost about $100-200, and a grill shell should only be about $100 at most.

I paid $700 to have my hood, bumper cover, roll pan and tonneau done on my '01 R/T, but the color match wasn't the greatest. It cost $800 to have my '03 R/T's hood, bumper cover, roll pan, and rear quarter skirts done at a better shop, and I'm very happy with the results.

· Registered
257 Posts
I looked on my computor and heres what I come up with.....these times are ONLY for refinish, any type of repairs needed on your parts would be extra and this is you taking the parts off and you putting them back on. I came up with these times and figures using CCC software and times setup by MOTORS esitmating..(I'm a bodyshop manager so this comes easy :dammit: ) I'm using a labor rate of 36.00 per hour, I believe that is pretty standard and using 22.00 per refinish hour for materials, this is also standard.

1.3 for the bumper
1.5 for the valance
1.5 for the grille
1.3 for roll pan ..(this is a guess, not in the system)
2.2 for clear coat.

total of 7.8 hours @ 36.00 is 280.80
materials 7.8 @ 22.00 is 171.60
Total less tax 452.40

So, the shop your talking to if its a good shop with all the stuff needed to do a good job is giving you a pretty fair price, is they're doing more then what I listed above, your getting a deal! Now, if you working with some back yard garage....well, good luck to ya. I hope this helps ya.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.