Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Dakota Quad Cab, 2WD, Tow Package, 4.7 Magnum V8

Looking for an alternative to Trailering bike on vacations, I dont really want to put in the bed as it was sorta hairy as far as Im concerned. Bike is 467lbs and they say to add 100 for the carrier ( which I think is only 78lbs). Do you think our hitches ( which is factory so I think Class III) handle almost 600lbs!

Not worry about truck handling it. worried about the hitch..falling off. LOL:jester:

Attachments

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
I would never use that. It would be in the bed or a trailor.

·
Rock Crawler
483 Posts
I've considered buying a similar unit but ultimately decided I'll be buying an enclosed trailer.

My main concern would be your hitches tongue rating. It does seem like a handy little unit and much more convenient than dragging a trailer behind you everywhere you go or hoisting your bike into the bed but, you'll be lacking security.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I was looking in to one of those but opted not to risk carrying a bike on it. Maybe a light weight dirt bike but not a cruiser.

I've carried a 500lb motorcycle in my bed from Texas to NY and back. It did fine for me the whole way.

·
Rock Crawler
483 Posts
I was looking in to one of those but opted not to risk carrying a bike on it. Maybe a light weight dirt bike but not a cruiser.

I've carried a 500lb motorcycle in my bed from Texas to NY and back. It did fine for me the whole way.
A street bike may be a tight fit in a quad cabs bed?:huh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually the street bike was a nice fit in the back. I was concerned too as it was longer than my dirt bike but once in...nice. and ofcourse the truck rides like nothings there! Its a monster..even if its only a 2wheel drive!

I think Im with you guys. If im worried now...imagine how I will be when its bouncing around hanging on the back of the truck! I didnt like putting in the bed as it was hairy getting her up there. I guess Im gonna just keep trailering it as I dont do it often.

I agree that its borderline if not a little over for the TW. THAT was but real concern.

Oh well...cool concept if I had a bigger truck but......Again...thanks for the input!!

Vroom Vroom!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yea, I forgot to notice that. lol

My cruiser was just barely to long for my bed. The tire was over by a couple of inches so I had to drop the tailgate.

actually the street bike was a nice fit in the back. I was concerned too as it was longer than my dirt bike but once in...nice. and ofcourse the truck rides like nothings there! Its a monster..even if its only a 2wheel drive!

I think Im with you guys. If im worried now...imagine how I will be when its bouncing around hanging on the back of the truck! I didnt like putting in the bed as it was hairy getting her up there. I guess Im gonna just keep trailering it as I dont do it often.

I agree that its borderline if not a little over for the TW. THAT was but real concern.

Oh well...cool concept if I had a bigger truck but......Again...thanks for the input!!

Vroom Vroom!

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH YEAH...Tailgate down. Thats a given with the quad cab. LOL
actually its still pretty decent. not like my dads s10 4 door pick up...the bed is only as deep as it is wide !!!!

might as well be a trunk!!

·
Banned
25,820 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah,...I gotta say...I (personally) could not do that.

I'll just take the trailer....thats what its for. Im hoping to ad a body lift to so Im just not doing the bed hauling anymore. I actually have an MX Trailer for my motocrosser that I could use vs by 5x8 flat bed.

My luck it fall over and it be dragging it on its side!

That hitch thing is a Great concept but, not for my dakota as you guys confirmed. Man its nice to get answers on this forum. My Bike Forum no one had crap to say. I guess on that forum unless Im asking about installing Neon lights on my road bike no one wants to chime in.......!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yeah,...I gotta say...I (personally) could not do that.

I'll just take the trailer....thats what its for. Im hoping to ad a body lift to so Im just not doing the bed hauling anymore. I actually have an MX Trailer for my motocrosser that I could use vs by 5x8 flat bed.

My luck it fall over and it be dragging it on its side!

That hitch thing is a Great concept but, not for my dakota as you guys confirmed. Man its nice to get answers on this forum. My Bike Forum no one had crap to say. I guess on that forum unless Im asking about installing Neon lights on my road bike no one wants to chime in.......!
What bike and what forum?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
I don't know if something like this might work for you
RHMC1-SV Motorcycle Towing Cradle
I wouldn't bring my bike anywhere near that thing. Would put way too much torsion stress on the triple trees, forks, wheels and axle. Even worse if your bike has spoked wheels.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts

Vroom Vroom!
Ever tried a nice wide, folding ramp? You can walk a motorcycle up it while feathering the clutch.

I'd get a tri-folding ramp, specs for that in here say 69" long and 45" wide. http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/65A4872A0A0.aspx

Might as well throw a tailgate extender in their too http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/61A1744A0A0.aspx I'd like to get one of these when I start working at the beach again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its an 09 Yamaha FZ6R.... and forums for that specific model....Its ok as I love the forum...I have Audi forums that are the same way! LOL

I guess Im just getting old and its not always about modding....haha

I have two motocross ramps I used and could walk up too, and yes feathering the clutch but again...it was too hairy for me.

Wife wants to go to the ocean front....maybe carolinas or something. Renting a house and wanted to cruise the streets. Will get a disc lock and will be in a garage. Id never leave outside unattended. Disc locks/alarms or not!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
its an 09 Yamaha FZ6R.... and forums for that specific model....Its ok as I love the forum...I have Audi forums that are the same way! LOL

I guess Im just getting old and its not always about modding....haha

I have two motocross ramps I used and could walk up too, and yes feathering the clutch but again...it was too hairy for me.

Wife wants to go to the ocean front....maybe carolinas or something. Renting a house and wanted to cruise the streets. Will get a disc lock and will be in a garage. Id never leave outside unattended. Disc locks/alarms or not!
Cool! I have a '07 Suzuki Boulevard M50 and I'm on the www.motorcyle-journal.com forums because there is no official forum for my bike.

I know my buddies '05 Kawasaki Ninja 636R fit in the bed of my truck with room to spare. So I would think your bike should fit in your truck but caddy cornered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will have to check that forum out! I learn TONS from forums....most of the time I dont even need to post..if you look and research SOMEONE mist likely has asked the same question.

I had a suzuki dirtbike and REALLY wanted to stick with the brand but at the time the SV650 was in question and the Gladius or whatever the hell they call it was coming and it was supposed to be the SV's replacement and just didnt like it.

Blvd is a nice cruiser. when Im ready to swap to a cruiser..will probably go that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts