Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The DAKOTANUT
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing the oil. Got it all drained and the filter replaced and went to pour the new oil in and look what I saw when I opened up the filler tube. What is this? I passed up a very nice Dodge Dakota when I was looking because it had this also.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
Looks like water in your oil.

Blown head gasket or internal freeze plug maybe? :huh:

Either way ..... Bad news

·
Registered
364 Posts
Condensation. Dont worry about it!

·
Turbo Dakota Junkie
1,912 Posts
The pcv valve hooks into the side of the oil fill tube. It provides a vacuum that sucks all of the water vapor and condensation that occurs inside your engine into that tube. All engines have condensation inside of them... just the 4.7 sucks it into a spot where you can see it. In other words, it's "normal", even if it is gross looking.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
There is a dealer fix for this if i recall correctly - I think it is a different cap.....mine does the same thing - nothing to worry about

Mine also has a plastic dipstick that sits in the filler tube - I just pull it out and wipe the crap off

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
It's cause it's so damn cold and because of short trips. I have never gotten it before being in Florida until this current winter because it is cold as balls and the water is condensating inside easier. But yeah nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ya...take it from a guy who lives in the great white north! This happens in the winter up here...I just keep it cleaned out so the crap doesn't build up in the cap/filler neck. When summer rolls around, it all burns off (till the next winter)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is an older post but mine has the same. It definately looks worse in the winter. I just keep it clean in between changes. It does it with Synthetic oil too.

KEvin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine does it, but never that much. I always clean it out though when I change my oil.

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
Refer to the thread moisture/oil stuff in the intake

·
VikingVish
254 Posts
My 3.7 does this. There is a kit to fix it that reroutes the PCV to the drivers side cam cover (replacing that one breather valve there). The kit should also include a new oil filler without the pcv inlet, a reroute tube, and the new valve itself that threads where the existing breather valve is located.

Not sure on the TSB for this, came across it awhile back.

Cheers

EDIT: I believe this would be the same valve for the 4.7 as well.
http://thevishnu.com/tmp2/3.7ekg_oil_pcv_kit/P1000987.JPG

also, found the pdf (knew I had it saved). :)
http://thevishnu.com/tmp2/3.7ekg_oil_pcv_kit/tsb_wk_2500208.pdf

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
Check the thread "Moisture/oil in the intake" and that should answer all of you guys questions.

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
Check the thread "Moisture/oil in the intake" and that should answer all of you guys questions.

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
The only reason I reiterated myself is because there are two threads going on in the 4.7 section with the same problem.:nana:

·
VikingVish
254 Posts
No biggie, ever since moving around the pcv (where it really should be, and not some cold piece of plastic that never heats up...) the problem has been gone. :)

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
Good to hear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts