Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 4.7 4wd Sport MANUAL 5 speed
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 manual 4x4 4.7 with an oil pressure gauge. I like it.

I just bought an 06 Dakota 4.7 and it just has an idiot light. The first engine in this truck self destructed, and I paid $2500 for a junkyard engine to be put in.
I’d like to add an oil pressure gauge for my mental health.
Is this something a decent backyard mechanic can do? Any suggestions on brands, and tips on installing appreciated!
YD

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
300 Posts
I have a 2001 manual 4x4 4.7 with an oil pressure gauge. I like it.

I just bought an 06 Dakota 4.7 and it just has an idiot light. The first engine in this truck self destructed, and I paid $2500 for a junkyard engine to be put in.
I’d like to add an oil pressure gauge for my mental health.
Is this something a decent backyard mechanic can do? Any suggestions on brands, and tips on installing appreciated!
YD
Typically it just involves adding a tee at your oil pressure switch, and running the line to your new gauge.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
36 Posts
I'd stick with Autometer gauges, personally. They're widely available and they come in a lot of different styles. There are cheaper gauges out there, but I don't trust a lot of them.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
300 Posts
I'd agree on the Autometer comment.

Only downside of installing an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge is that you are running a pressurized oil line into your passenger compartment. So consider that. A leak would be messy at best, catastrophic at worst.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
36 Posts
There are electric options that just require a new sensor and some wires through the firewall. Way safer than the old liquid pressure mechanical gauges.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
300 Posts
Yes, they look to be way more expensive.

·
Registered
386 Posts
electrics are just as accurate, and no potential 'crazy bad (and extremely hot) mess' - well worth any additional expense (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Typically it just involves adding a tee at your oil pressure switch, and running the line to your new gauge.
I'd agree on the Autometer comment.

Only downside of installing an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge is that you are running a pressurized oil line into your passenger compartment. So consider that. A leak would be messy at best, catastrophic at worst.
That's a true story. I've seen the "at best" version played out in a 1984 camaro. My girlfriend had white pants on she had just bought the day before. First time wearing them. Guess where the oil sprayed. Now guess who was a "motherf***er" because of it...that would be me I guess, at least that's what she said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts