Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quoted $900-1000.00's to change both uppers and lowers on my truck. Forget that! I would like to tackle this myself. Does anyone have a link possibly with pictures illustrating the process of switching out old BJ's to new ones? I appreciate any responses. :bow:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
5.2DAKOTASLT said:
I was quoted $900-1000.00's to change both uppers and lowers on my truck. Forget that! I would like to tackle this myself. Does anyone have a link possibly with pictures illustrating the process of switching out old BJ's to new ones? I appreciate any responses. :bow:
I always do it like this - Haynes

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
5.2DAKOTASLT said:

Well, its a pretty straight forward job. Best bet is to grab a Chiltons or Haynes manual, you will need some jack stands, air tools are a must and a pickle fork to seperate the BJ`s (and the tie rod ends if ya wanna do those while you are there) and a torque wrench(0-150 ft-lbs).

all that labor is due to the fact the BJ`s are RIVETED in and ya gotta remove the rivets. trust me, it takes A LONG time to remove the bottom ones. after that, its a bolt in the new ones. when i did mine, it was about $500 in parts (U/L BJ`s, both inner/outer tie rod ends and bushings) and to change it all out was $585 in labor and $53 for a alingment.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question... are the BJ's riveted in on the Durangos also??

Man that's gonna suck if so!

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
JeremyG said:
Question... are the BJ's riveted in on the Durangos also??

Man that's gonna suck if so!
yup, thems is riveted in too.,... :help: :cussing:

a air hammer and a grinder and maybe a press to remove `em. but the new ones are bolted in. the stealership will try to get ya to do the control arm assembly (~$300 or so, EACH, bottom ones at least) so its just a swap out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Took me an Hour a side to do Top and bottom, had to grind the Rivets out, or you could also just drill them out, air tools help but are not a must, same with pickle fork(I didn't even use one). You do need a balljoint press for the bottom ball joints though. The ball joints themselves cost me $90 Canadian thats for Moogs BTW. And I am going to try a claim my uppers on the recall.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
justme84 said:
You do need a balljoint press for the bottom ball joints though.
why a press when the new ones are bolted in?? :help:

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
justme84 said:
Only the top Ball Joints are bolted in, the bottom is pressed in.

:bs2: trust me on this...the bottoms have four rivets from the factory and the new ones have four bolts and nuts to replace them with.

4x4 *might* be pressed in, ill get back to you on that one.

check the pic here...youll see four holes for the lower ball joint

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Opps sorry bout that, I guess I should have clarified the fact that mine is infact 4X4. There might be a difference there, it would most likely be a easier job on 2X4 then.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
i got a set of 4x4 arms by mistake... more to follow tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts